dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

Not trying to argue, just telling you what i learned in school as an Avian biology major (focusing on avian medicine). In our school we used such a small amount that it wouldn't cause any harm. That's why knowing their weight and getting the proper dosage amount is so important. Not lying about using it:

This is Liberty during surgery, she had to have her ovary and follicles removed:

..................................... deleted.............................................................
This is probably my biggest pet peeve about forums... People seem to be unwilling and/or unable to use medications this way. How hard is it to weigh their bird and calculate the milligrams that it needs?

-Kathy

I know they can die from that, we lost 2 birds due to isoflurane toxicity. They had to be under longer due to complications during surgery. But of those two birds that we lost over 200 have been perfectly fine. It also says in the article you posted that "Local anaesthetics should not be used in birds due to the suggested sensitivity of birds to drugs of the procaine group [8]."
Meaning they are more sensitive to them, and that dosage is very important. This doesn't mean that they are toxic. I'm sure your vet is very knowledgable and may not want to take the risk of tellin you it's ok to use them. The vets that are teaching in the vet school where I am have been teaching to use these for years, so I will continue to use them.

Kathy, does it say how small of a bird? It could be that we just use them on chickens because in some people's eyes they are much more "disposable." When birds like parrots are operated on, they are basically awake with as little anesthetics used as possible. But those birds cost thousands of dollars and would be considered a greater loss than just a chicken unfortunately.

I don't get it either, even when people suggest medications I always look up dosages and calculate them myself. Most medications have how many mg/kg right on them. Unless prescribe from a doctor, they should hopefully be able to calculate your dosage correctly! ;)

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, you can't learn new things if you always just go with one side of a story.

Mg15, how is your baby doing??? (Sorry for hijacking your thread)
She is still alive. And seems better. We had her walking around and she pecked at things on the floor. She will still be on liquid Baytril. She does have some pain if I pick her up a certain way. Hopefully she will eat more to gain some weight. She drinks water that I put vitamins in.

Don't worry about the discussion on anesthesia, very interesting. There is so much info there. Good to know stuff. I learn alot.
Thanks.

She is still alive. And seems better. We had her walking around and she pecked at things on the floor. She will still be on liquid Baytril. She does have some pain if I pick her up a certain way. Hopefully she will eat more to gain some weight. She drinks water that I put vitamins in.

Don't worry about the discussion on anesthesia, very interesting. There is so much info there. Good to know stuff. I learn alot.
Thanks.

I have read this whole thread and I am so glad Whispers is doing better and that you are doing everything for her and you can see that her wounds are healing. Keep doing what you are doing and here's to a speedy full recovery for Whispers.
hugs.gif
Keep up the good work!

I'm so glad she is doing better!! Even a little improvement is good news!
I panicked today. She has lost weight. I don't know how much she can lose.
I called the vet and asked if I should take her off of the Baytril.
Vet said no, due to the massive wounds.
Okay. Well,, I tried to feed her Kefir, Pedialyte and Kaytee Exact with a bird syringe. Makes her upset. I quit. And put it in her new housing area. (in the kitchen)
She ate some on her own. She has poo but mostly water.
I have vitamins in her water. She does drink it.
Took her outside, she had a sun bath. Oh, those wounds in the sun look horrific.
I found another wound under her left shoulder. I have not been treating that wound !!!!
I am anxious to get her under a bright lite to see it. This inspection of that wound compared to the treated wounds will be very interesting.

How much weight can she safely lose. ?
She has lost 1/2 pound.
After four days of her therapy I weighed her and she was 4 3/4 lbs.Now she is 4 1/4 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom