dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

Was it the wounds that the vet suggested putting her down? I have a hen that I am nursing and she is eating and singing. She is trying to stand but cannot. It's been almost 4 days and I keep seeing improvement but she is still not able to stand. Sorry about your hen... It's hard when they become pets and have names.

Was it the wounds that the vet suggested putting her down? I have a hen that I am nursing and she is eating and singing. She is trying to stand but cannot. It's been almost 4 days and I keep seeing improvement but she is still not able to stand. Sorry about your hen... It's hard when they become pets and have names.
Yes the wounds, she could stand briefly but then she would lay down, he had never seen a chicken wounded before, (pet birds he has), she was so ruffed up she could have had internal injuries, she was depressed.

Question: When your girl tries to stand does she fall down or lay down. ? Does she have a broken leg. ?
Be sure to check every inch of your girl for wounds. It sounds good that she is singing and eating.
Whispers layed down for weeks. She could stand but she preferred to lay down.

My hen prefers to lay down. She may have a broken bone. Not sure. She was running until the last moment of the attack on Friday. And now she won't bare all her weight. But she is eating and singing! I haven't found anything on her except the missing feathers around her neck. She clucks pretty harshly sometimes when I hold her. I guess I am hurting her. :(. She scoots on her knees around in the crate. Do you think it's a broken leg or other bone? Do you think she will heal? I am hopefully....

My hen prefers to lay down. She may have a broken bone. Not sure. She was running until the last moment of the attack on Friday. And now she won't bare all her weight. But she is eating and singing! I haven't found anything on her except the missing feathers around her neck. She clucks pretty harshly sometimes when I hold her. I guess I am hurting her.
sad.png
. She scoots on her knees around in the crate. Do you think it's a broken leg or other bone? Do you think she will heal? I am hopefully....
Can you feel for a broken bone in her leg or thigh or her feet ?
I am hopefull with you, that she will heal.
I do know the healing takes time.

Can't feel anything out of place. And it seems she clucks rather loudly when I hold her a certain way BUT I can't figure out what way that is. I am careful when I pick her up and most of the time she just sings at me. She flaps around and is frustrated that she can't stand. :(. I will keep it up with the medicines an the hand feeding. She is taking it all like a champ! I feel awful that it happened on my watch.

Oh yes, mine happened on my watch also. Terrible terrible feeling. ughhh.

Whispers did not like to be lifted up either, when I did she obviously was in pain. And her almost clucking sounds she would make, hence her name.
When I would put her outside for 15 minutes she would just stand in one spot. Hardly move at all, never plucked at the grass, never pecked at food. Just stood there.
Looking back at that behavior I now know she was in pain and did not want to move it would hurt too much. I wouldn't want to move either if it were me.

If you pick her up and dangle her legs does she move them. ?
Are the legs straight when she is dangling them ?
Does she have grip with her feet by putting a thick stick or your three fingers under her feet.?
Pinch her toes and see if she retracts them

She could have a fractured pelvis. Or some anatomy like that in a chicken. Just too much effort for her to stand. I believe she can heal. Let me say I hope she can heal.
She sounds like a sweetheart, with her clucking and singing, and all.

Is she eating the same amt. as she did before the attack ?
I know they need a lot of water.

In the beginning Whispers never really had a poo that was normal. It took weeks for that to get better. But that came with her starting to eat on her own.
I tube fed her for a long time. She would have died if I had not done that.

Please update with her progress.
Thanks,
mg

Last edited:
Yes. Her legs seem straight. And she puts resistance against my hands when I hold her and press up against them. Her legs dangle when I pick her up and that is the way they were before when I picked her up. And she is eating just as much if not more than before. She is getting lots if food and water that has been laced with vitamins and aspirin. And even electrolytes! I am hoping I am doing the right thing and continuing with the regiment of food medicine and all. She seems okay with it all. Lol. She is pooing alright as well. Sometimes it's a bit wetter than normal but I think that might have to do with what she is eating and the medicine. It looks normal though. I am sad to hear about all that you wet through with Whispers. It's a heartbreaking thing. I know they are just chickens. But I didn't go into this to make the hens disposable.

Last edited:
" I didn't go into this to make the hens disposable", I agree with you 100% !

You know she just may need time to have a complete recovery. Woudn't that be great. She is eating and drinking and as a person somewhere on BYC said They can be tougher than you think. When Whispers got attacked and it was over Memorial Day and no vet to call at that time, I did extensive reading on this site about injured birds. And that lady said they can survive when we wouldn't think they could. So when the vet gave Whispers a ten percent chance, the only thing I heard in my head was, they can recover.

Does sound like she may have general trauma to her underside and it hurts. As long as her feet open and close appropriately and you don't feel any broken bones, she may really have a chance.

To me they are beautiful birds. I know people look at them and see chicken, I see a very pretty bird.

Agreed. I think they are quirky birds that make me smile. And I love figuring out what makes them tick. One of the FB pages of chicken people said the same. It just time the some time. I guess...I have the time. I will keep chasing meds and handle feed meals. Lol. Thanks for listening to me. :)

Aaaaw :( I just found this thread because one of my young guineas were attacked by a pup of mine. Can you use a different antibiotic other than Baytril? I have VetRx, Tylan 50 and Tylovet Soluble and how much?

Back
Top Bottom