Dog Mutts/Mixes Thread!

Responsibly bred purebred a differ from irresponsibly bred purebreds Some breeders of purebreds will take any pedigreed dog and breed it, passing on the puppies as "responsibly bred", just because they are purebred. Responsible purebred breeders only breed purebreds with no defects in the pedigree.

Sadly, it can be rather hard to find responsibly bred purebreds. That is why most people have found that mutts are healthier than the available purebreds.

actually it's not hard at all. however, the biggest thing I find is that people don't want to WAIT for that responsibly bred dog. Or to pay for it.
-Why should I pay $1200 for one of those GSDs when I can find dozens of ads in my local paper for $300?

- Why should I wait till next year for you to breed again? There are dozens of pups available right now in my local paper.

- Why should you care that I plan to potty train my dog by rubbing his nose in it and correct him with a rolled up newspaper? Once I pay for it, I can do whatever I want.

-What do you mean that this dog doesn't have breeding rights? If I pay for it, it's my right to earn my money back by selling puppies.

Where I live, it is actually VERY hard to find responsible breeders of almost anything. Many of the breeders just breed anything that resembles a particular breed of animal. The dogs that these people breed are usually very well socialized and trained, though. Not many people here even breed animals. Alot of the pets here come from shelters and rescues, and are all spayed and neutered, which is good for most purposes, but not if you are trying to find a dog of a particular breed.

the thing is, almost every breeder will ship. I've known people to drive 20 hours one way to pick up a new puppy just to get a particular bloodline for a certain sport or potential breeding.

Most breeders are considered "local" in dog circles if they are within 8 hour drive.

For showing and future breeding, buying from a breeder is great. But there are tons of shelter dogs that would be fine for someone who just wants a dog to have for a friend. Those dogs need homes, or they will euthanized. But if you want a purebred, breeders are the way to go. This is the same for most animals.

absolutely. if you want a purebred, purchase only from responsible breeders. if the price is an object, there are plenty of purebred dog rescue organizations that can match you with a dog.
never ever purchase from just any "breeder" that is what keeps bad breeders and puppy mills in business.

@henny1129 your dog olive could very well be full blooded, it's kinda hard to tell without a picture of the dog standing properly but she does look beagle-y , my family raised them for years . I assume she has a white tipped tail, 99% of beagles do And her ears should just reach the tip of her nose. She should also be under 15 inches tall at the shoulders if so it sounds like she is. If she's over 15 she's some other foxhound. Cute none the less

Thank you for this information! :) She does have a white tipped tail, but I've never really looked to see how far her ears go down and I've never measured her. I will do this though and try to get a pic of her standing up, she's quite lazy! :lol: I honestly don't care if she's purebred or not, it's just something that I've wanted to find out......I don't understand how she ended up in a shelter for the first place, especially if she's purebred.

Ok, sorry for getting the pictures so late, but I have them now!

And I measured her and she's just under 15 inches, though I think her ears are a bit long.......

She sure is a cutie, I do have a soft spot in my heart for beagles, makes me miss living on the farm I can hear them barking now lol . I would say she is full blooded, it's always better if the ears are a little longer than a little short of reaching the nose ;-)

Back
Top Bottom