Dog Problem?

farmerlor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
middle of nowhere Colorado
I've got this big Dane/lab mix, about seven years old. We'd had several danes and rescued this boy thinking that the lab part of his gene pool would contribute to a little bit longer life span and less chance of the cancers that danes seem to be plagued with. Well, like I said he's seven now, weighing in at about 180 and his hips are going. He's afraid to walk on the wood floor anymore because he falls and hurts himself. He also has some growing lumps on his shoulders which I fear are the lymphatic cancer our last big dane died from. I just hate to see him so afraid of getting hurt and then of course when he falls he does get hurt. Is there anything I can do for him or is this the time we start thinking about putting him down before he gets bad.

This is Boo when he was about six months old.
dogs004-1.jpg

I put rugs down for my Wobbler's dog. She does a lot better knowing she won't slip.

If you can't put down rugs everywhere what about getting sled dog boots or something similar? They are designed to allow more grip like wearing hiking shoes with a deep tread. http://nordkyn.com/ has sled dog supplies and different boots if you want to contact them and get their opinion on whether something they have might work.

Oh, we've been putting rugs down for him or he won't walk across the floor. I guess I'm just worried that if he's that scared, he's hurting. No the lumps are definitely growing in size and number. We saw this before with our last big boy.

Is he on any glucosamine supplements? I have my 2 year old Shepherd on that since he already has a known bad hip, and it's done wonders. I don't want to ruin his kidneys with pain killers this early in his life. I noticed a difference in a week. At PetsMart, for about $40 a bottle (the big bottle) of the Nutri Vet Hip and Joint.

The only other option is to take him into the vet to get their opinion, one that is familiar with large breeds and the options for hip displasia. Mine gave a list of surgical options and a referral for an all out hip replacement. We're not at that point yet. But I did start saving the money for it since it isn't cheap.

Poor guy...
sad.png
Only you know whether his quantity of life how outlived his quality of life. If he still seems happy and painfree MOST of the time, I'd probably bide time and see how he does. But if/when you think he's in pain quite a bit, I'd opt for euthanasia. We have wood floors as well, and I try to keep those thoughts out of my head for my dane boy...but I already do worry. He's a handsome fella
hugs.gif

It's hard to tell lymphoma lumps from ordinary lipomas, which are just fatty tumors. I'd get the dog checked over.

Any time mobility is limited and fear and anxiety of falling or slipping is becoming a factor, I start thinking about maybe it's time. Such a sad thing, our final responsibility.

Wow, 7 years just isn't long enough. The rugs to ease his fear and Rimadyl to ease any pain that he might have. The decision we eventually have to make for our dogs is a tough one, but it is our responsibility. I hold out until quality of life is unacceptable. Good luck with this situation, and hopefully you can buy anjother couple of years of his presence.
hugs.gif

I have an older shepherd mix who is almost 13 now. He has been covered in fatty tumors for a few years now. One of them is the size of a softball! I would have had it removed but it is one of about 20+ that are all over his body. That leg is more tumor than leg these days......when he lays upside down, he looks like bubble wrap, he has so many lumps on his belly. We used to regularly test the "suspicious' ones and they always came back as just 'fatty tumors'.

Having said that, he is happy as can be. He's old and fed well and stays inside.....he can play with a stuffed duck and spin circles for his food with the best of them.

Make sure you keep his nails trimmed well. That really helps with "traction".

Back
Top Bottom