Dog problems and animal control is not helping.

Did you read my post? Fowls are chickens and most of the time are considered livestock.

Quote:

Yes i have talked with the owners they say its not my dog who did it,it's never their dog.Anyways the food coloring,which color should i get that would work with a majority of fur colors because sometimes black dogs come and sometimes white ones or maybe i should buy two colors.I wish i knew about the texas livestock laws
barnie.gif

No problem, I hope it helps. I know I read on and it said something about each offense the penalty is a fine of $100. But I would go talk to a lawyer or a police officer. They might be able to take charge. NO DOG should be on your property if you don't want it to be.

The Texas law states you can shoot the dog.

§ 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

bacon grease may be the answer?

I bet I could get a dog to swallow a onion whole if its covered bacon grease? the idea struck me as to how to fix your neighbors. I know its not the dogs fault they run loose, however if they bring the trouble they get into home with them the owners will be less likely to let them roam. dogs are good for holding it down for an hour or so. mine is notorious for eating rabbit poo. she will eat all she can carry. one day she ralph'd it up on the couch. made me think twice about what she getting into?

The Texas law states you can shoot the dog.

§ 822.013. Dogs or Coyotes That Attack Animals
(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.

Great thanks bullitt,still i wonder why the city customer service operators didn't want to tell me this information in the first place.Does it vary city to city or is the state law the final say so

link to article about it being legal to shoot a dog in Colorado for harassing your chickens. http://durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs....ngowoman’sdogshotkilledafterattackingchickens

link to TX law showing that you do not have to protect your chickens from other animals, other animals have to keep kept away from your chickens. http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/tx_fnc.htm

link to article about a landowner who shot two dogs that were growling on his property at night, was taken to court and won because he was protecting his property. http://www.gainesvilleregister.com/local/x1540196414/Jury-rules-for-landowner-in-dog-shooting-trial

link to BYC thread showing TX landowner to shot dogs killing his chickens and was within his legal rights... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/24693/landowner-kills-dogs-killing-chickens

You just need to shoot to kill... do not try to scare them away with a paint ball gun or bb gun, that would be considered animal cruelty. If you want to protect your chickens from the dogs by shooting them, you need to kill them. Any other kind of harm to them is legally considered cruel.

However, I don't believe in shooting dogs for killing chickens. I think there are other predators who are worse than dogs that you need to protect from as well and that you should protect your chickens from those other wild animals as well.

Yes, Lowes and Home Depot sell Hog Wire... it may be called something else. It is about 2" X 4" and it will stop dogs. However, this will NOT stop Racoons or Opossums. Racoons and Opossums can squeeze through openings of that size so only protect your run with it. You want to protect your coop where they roost at night with Hardware Cloth which is 1/2" X 1/2", also available at big box stores. A Raccoon CAN break/chew through chicken wire. Chicken wire is only good for keeping your chickens inside of something, not for keeping anything out. Lots of posts on here about people who have lost their chickens by using chicken wire... please rethink this.

A camera and/or stakeout along with traps sound like they would work but would maybe be a lot of work for a temporary solution... you'd only get rid of those dogs. Your chickens would still not be fully protected. Personally, I'd rather take one action only and have the whole problem fixed.

And, by the way... welcome to BYC.... this is your first post and we didn't even welcome you! Sorry about that!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

All cities fall under state law.

I am pretty sure the city doesn't want people shooting off guns, and that is why they try to scare you away from shooting. I still would not suggest hurting a dog with a pellet gun.

The electric fence will get the dogs to stop coming over, and hopefully no animals will have to die that way.

Last edited:
Great thanks bullitt,still i wonder why the city customer service operators didn't want to tell me this information in the first place.Does it vary city to city or is the state law the final say so

Thanks for finding that law... couldn't find it myself. :-(

The City Operators don't know all the laws, they probably had no idea. It is the state law, City of San Antonio can not contradict this. City employees probably don't deal with livestock too much so this would be a new situation for them more than likely.

Back
Top Bottom