Dogloo Straw Getting Wet

Mosey2003

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 13, 2016
North-Central IL
I have a Pyrenees mix that lives inside and out depending on when I'm home, but sleeps outside because the house is too hot for him. He has a big dogloo house in a covered kennel inside his huge pen, and I've been filling it up with straw. The problem is, the straw keeps getting wet, and it's not from rain/snow blowing in. I assume it must be condensation from contact with the ground.
Has anyone else dealt with this? Would putting a pallet underneath solve it? I have one smaller pallet that might fit inside that kennel, otherwise I would have to make something, so I'd love to hear that it's a sure fire fix before I have to build something out in the cold barn, lol.
Things like blankets or the like in the bottom or on top of the straw are a total no-go, he's still young enough that I don't trust him not to eat it and I'd rather not risk that.

I used igloos for my goats and used grass hay for bedding. It was always wet too. I thought it was due to the plastic of the igloo and if course their pooping and breathing. I just replaced the bedding daily. I never did solve the moisture issue, I eventually made the goats sleep in the barn.

To fix the problem you have got to address the ventilation issue. The lack of ventilation just isn't healthy. Do you have any friends who are engineers? They may be able to come up with an idea. Maybe install something like a stovepipe with an elbow. That would allow for an exchange of air and since there is an elbow, rain and snow won't be falling down the open pipe. You could use PVC.

To fix the problem you have got to address the ventilation issue. The lack of ventilation just isn't healthy. Do you have any friends who are engineers? They may be able to come up with an idea. Maybe install something like a stovepipe with an elbow. That would allow for an exchange of air and since there is an elbow, rain and snow won't be falling down the open pipe. You could use PVC.
It has a vent in the top that I have opened and the door area is quite large, there shouldn't be that much build up I would think? It's not enclosed with a plastic door like some I've seen, anyway.

It has a vent in the top that I have opened and the door area is quite large, there shouldn't be that much build up I would think? It's not enclosed with a plastic door like some I've seen, anyway.
Has the vent been open all the time or did you just now open it?

Back
Top Bottom