dogs and ducks

ducks rule

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
will a labadoole and 3 ducks get a long
big_smile.png

I have posted this on other threads, so sorry if this is repeat but I really believe that any breed of dog can be trained to be around your animals safely if you work on training them well in overall impulse control. Here is the method I use to train my dogs:

I have a pit-bull mix and three pugs. The pit and two of the pugs are rescues from urban shelters with mixed histories of abuse. All four dogs are out in the yard with my 5 chickens everyday without any problems. In fact I once had a chicken attack a dog but never the opposite. Everyone guaranteed me that the pit would kill my chickens but she has never been a problem.

Here is what I personally recommend: The most important thing to focus on overall is improving your dogs impulse control. No matter what your dog has a natural prey drive but more than that they are pack animals that want to please their master. Good basic training makes teaching them anything else so much easier. Make sure that you can snap your dogs attention back to you even when they see something they want. (I can't snap so I use an "aht." noise - this means sit and pay attention to me) One of the best ways to work on this without a live animal present is during feeding. Do you free feed your dogs or do they eat at regular times? I would recommend taking them off of free feeding if you are doing that. Focus on training your dogs so they they will not eat anything unless you give a specific command. I set down all four bowls of food and make the dogs wait. They do not eat until they hear their own name and see a hand gesture. Also work on them stopping eating at a command and willing stepping away from their food. I say "Name, wait." and they stop and sit until told to continue. These skills help with impulse control in many areas of training. It may seem unrelated but to a dog, the one who controls the food is the ruler of them all.

It is also a good idea to work on the “leave it” command with toys, food and other things.

I would introduce the dog to the chickens on a leash and just sit and be calm. (One dog at a time if you have more than one) As soon as she starts to fixate on the chickens in any way other than simple curiosity or barks or is excited (even happy excited) I would scold her with the same word every time (you only need to say it once, firmly) and immediately take her inside.
It is important to take her in even with happy excitement. You are training her to ignore the chickens not to like the chickens and there is a big difference. With my dogs I brought them back when they were calm and started all over again. and again and again. lol. I allowed them to glance at them or sniff them but anything else was a no. It takes a lot of time and patience but a;; of the dogs ignore the chickens and now find very little interest in them at all other than a sniff here or there. I never yelled or hit them or used a choke or a shock. I just said no and took them away immediately at any sign of fixation or barking. You will need to do this everyday until they get it. Patience is the key and consistency. It sucks because sometimes you are busy and don't want to deal with it but starting and stopping will just make it worse. I leave them all together unsupervised regularly.

Here is my pit, Lou, with a silkie chick who fell in love with her.

We're having the same trouble as Beefcake15. We've had chickens for 3 years and our dogs have been okay around them, ignoring them. A few months ago we got some Muscovy ducklings. Last weekend one of the kids let our Lab/Heeler mix out. We weren't letting her out while the ducks were out unless we were out also. Anyway, by the time I realized she was out, 2 of the ducks were dead. I don't understand why she did this, but is okay with the chickens. I do realize it doesn't matter, we have to have more control over her & our other dog. I've thought about fencing in the ducks, but is that just putting a bandaid over the real problem?

All it is is training them. Takes time and patience, but pays off

If you train the dog properly they can get along fine. Let me know if you want some training tips and I can PM you. (it's kind of long). You will need to dedicate time to this. One introduction will not be enough.

Last edited:
seek someone local to help train the dog. Online advice without knowledge and showing proper techniques wont get you far. We have friends with the same mix and he isnt safe to visit us because he wants to chase, catch, kill.

It has nothing to do with the breed or the dog, it is just the training. Their dog is not well trained around birds. Also, a dog may be fine with their birds at their house because he understands those things belong to you. But new birds at a different house will not be treated the same way by the dog.

If you put in the time and are very constant you will do fine. Watch videos, read peoples advice and then adjust according to your own experience. Basic dog training classes are never a bad idea. You will want to get the basics down before you start working with the birds. I will PM you right now.

Back
Top Bottom