Dogs are killing my ducks and chickens. How do I safely repel them? Ultra sonic?

My yard is fenced but the drive way has a 12 foot gap and I can’t install a gate.

A dog has 3x wipes out 30 ducks. I talked to the owner but it continues to happen.

It usually happens at night and it’s not always the same dog.

I don’t want to be mean to the dog, just keep them out.

Any ideas?
A webcam will help you pinpoint the offending dogs
Their owners are liable.
Destruction of your livestock on your property is a criminal offense in some states, and the dog owners should be held liable.
Almost every place has ordinances against dogs running loose.
Good luck! I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.

A webcam will help you pinpoint the offending dogs
Their owners are liable.
Destruction of your livestock on your property is a criminal offense in some states, and the dog owners should be held liable.
Almost every place has ordinances against dogs running loose.
Good luck! I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.

It does. They have to be on leashes here. I was thinking of how I should post a couple signs. Maybe under surveillance with a dog on a leash picture.

Ducks have no defensive skills, thus the term sitting duck. Sometimes they don’t even move!

Chickens however seem to know to get away. I’ve lost 30 full grown ducks and only 1 chicken due to unleashed dogs.

It does. They have to be on leashes here. I was thinking of how I should post a couple signs. Maybe under surveillance with a dog on a leash picture.
I'm an animal lover. I'm also a huge advocate of pet owner responsibility!
Too many folks just aren't responsible. You see it every day!
I honestly think 75% of folks shouldn't be allowed to own animals.
I digress...
There's no guilt or regret in enforcing the protection of your pets!
The are several inexpensive game cams on the market that go straight to the cloud.
It might be a worthwhile investment.
But i also agree about locking them securely at night. Fencing alone might not be enough.
Big dog house with a secure door, etc? Anything to keep them inside i reckon.

Love the sign idea.
Unfortunately if the dog owners aren't already stopping the action, the sign won't either.
I would put the sign - just don't depend on it.

I fight Poachers every single year all year long.

I'm an animal lover. I'm also a huge advocate of pet owner responsibility!
Too many folks just aren't responsible. You see it every day!
I honestly think 75% of folks shouldn't be allowed to own animals.
I digress...
There's no guilt or regret in enforcing the protection of your pets!
The are several inexpensive game cams on the market that go straight to the cloud.
It might be a worthwhile investment.
But i also agree about locking them securely at night. Fencing alone might not be enough.
Big dog house with a secure door, etc? Anything to keep them inside i reckon.

Love the sign idea.
Unfortunately if the dog owners aren't already stopping the action, the sign won't either.
I would put the sign - just don't depend on it.

I fight Poachers every single year all year long.
That’s good advice. A few have figure out how to sneak out of their pen. It’s my responsibility to keep them safe, I brought them into this world.

My cams do log to the cloud, I just haven’t used it against anybody.

And I do need to protect them better at night. During the day, I let them roam but they are not allowed to go outside the driveway. They actually seem to know that, but the younger ducks do not.

The chickens though, whatever the reason, they don’t leave the yard.

That’s good advice. A few have figure out how to sneak out of their pen. It’s my responsibility to keep them safe, I brought them into this world.

My cams do log to the cloud, I just haven’t used it against anybody.

And I do need to protect them better at night. During the day, I let them roam but they are not allowed to go outside the driveway. They actually seem to know that, but the younger ducks do not.

The chickens though, whatever the reason, they don’t leave the yard.
I understand. I have a locking coop and a 6' fence. I let them out a lot during the day when I'm outside, almost always, lol. We have tons of predators up here in the boonies.
They can still escape, 6'fence ignored.
Some chickens go far and wide, some stay close by.
I think ducks range farther in the wild too, don't they?

I surely wasnt implying any blame toward you about locking them up. I hope it didn't sound that way!
It's amazing to me how some of us must take up the slack of other pets' owners when they are negligent.
I believe your critters should have free range of your yard without worry about toothed invaders.
Sad that never works out.
You really can't blame the dogs, either. That's in their nature.
But the owners need to exercise proper control and restraint.
that's on them and for their failure to do so, they should be held accountable.
I'm not talking about the truly accidental leash-slip or dig-outs dogs can perform, but those owners who simply don't care.
Accidents do happen, of course.
My first year saw me pressing a greenhouse into service as a coop, it was all i had at the time.
my daughter uses sturdy dog houses raised for her turkeys.
so ingenuity works, lol

I really think the easiest and fastest thing to do is to buy electric netting and keep them inside a large pen of electric netting. It's quick and easy to put up and it teaches the predators the first time that this isn't going to be worth the shock. Premier 1 Fencing has lots of different types of netting. For dogs, I'd get one of the tallest poultry nets, not shorter than 4 ft because some dogs can jump 4 ft. You might be able to get away with single wires around the whole back yard if spaced closer at the bottom and they went as high as 5 ft. Here's a link to the poultry netting they sell. Don't forget to buy a charger because without it, the fence will be worthless. it's the SHOCK that protects your birds! And follow instructions because some electric fences must have no grass contact, so you MUST spray around the bottom with round up. Landscapers with trimmers must not use them or they'll ruin the fence. https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php

I really think the easiest and fastest thing to do is to buy electric netting and keep them inside a large pen of electric netting. It's quick and easy to put up and it teaches the predators the first time that this isn't going to be worth the shock. Premier 1 Fencing has lots of different types of netting. For dogs, I'd get one of the tallest poultry nets, not shorter than 4 ft because some dogs can jump 4 ft. You might be able to get away with single wires around the whole back yard if spaced closer at the bottom and they went as high as 5 ft. Here's a link to the poultry netting they sell. Don't forget to buy a charger because without it, the fence will be worthless. it's the SHOCK that protects your birds! And follow instructions because some electric fences must have no grass contact, so you MUST spray around the bottom with round up. Landscapers with trimmers must not use them or they'll ruin the fence. https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php
Oh that's an excellent idea. I've lived without electricity too long i see, lol. Great idea.
Would clipping wings or higher fences also serve to keep the ducks in, as well?

I live in the country where when something like this happens you have a friendly chat with your neighbor about their dog. You explain their dog killed my chickens and you don't want to see that dog around your place again and leave it at that. If it happens again you dispatch the dog. Common country curtesy. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

To protect the animals I love, I would kill those dogs in a heart beat.
I've lost too many Birds to roving dogs over the years to care anymore about an irresponsible owner letting their dogs go out on killing sprees. And what kind of dog runs anyway? My dog never leaves my property when she's out.A dog that runs is a useless dog, get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom