doing a coop from a boat trailer..so can take flock to other home if wanted to overnight or few days

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky

other home is not real far away and back roads
well anyway,bought trailer off CL $200 Then spent 300 dollars for new bearings, new tires, spare tire and rim... I said wow Honey how come??? well anyway its a strong 16 foot boat trailerby 5 foot...wide
Hubby wired up running and braking and lights he got recently . Case we drive somewhere after or during dark
so far Hubby bolted down pressure treated.. 2 by 8 's 6 feet long so far. trailer had no floor just galvanized I beams and leaf springs. I wanted him to just do plywood floor. But he said this way much stronger. But of course I said yeah making trailer heavier...LOL..Cause he said long I mean as wide, as he could make it would be 11 feet long the coop that is...and 6 foot wide....
got plywood for sides and several rv looking sliding windows....
trying to find corrugated aluminum to exterior face the coop.. making it lighter
So far can only find steel... corrugated panels.... yeah I know vinyl siding....
thinking about aluminum coil stock. But Hubby said hard to keep flat when installing it...
Several weeks ago a guy had some 3 ft by 12 foot , his ad, said , corrugated alum roofing salvaged from barn... But by the time I finally called the CL seller he already sold the 12 foot lenghts and had only 8 or so 2 by 8 ft lengths left. This supposedly all was from a salvaged barn materials. 40 miles away from here...
Wish I had a bunch of old licnse lates.. that would be neat.. got just several now
anyway got some "Zappone" brand shingles left from my former homes roof.. But they seem so nice to use on a chicken coop.. But did use a few scraps on some feed shelters..LOL. The shingles are textured and expensive and like 12 "by 6" and WHITE... or so...It was such a pretty roof....so I keep running on Sorry
we left the other whole box of shingles with the new owner.... which as prob a mistake .. but whatever....
so guess its yellow pages time or salvage places to find corrugated aluminum
so will post pic soon
I just trying to upload pic .. it must be too big... I cant remember how I was able to last time...yall
any more ideas yall???

Last edited:
If I cant get these poor chickens itching and excessive scratching under control... all this might be for nothing...
Hubby has the floor on now and some of the roof joists and plywood sides....I should have asked him to take pics as he progresses. He out in the garage now He needs to call it an evening and get off his feet....
would so like to cover the plywood outer walls with aluminum sheets.. but cANT FIND it.. did find some large baking sheets... he said ...Naw... The You tube homemade camper guy said he got from a salvage yard.... also he got his door from a salvage yard.... It is a jalousie. Heck we had jalousie windows on our former long time home on the dide of the attached gaage. personally I like jalousie storm doors...
I suggested aluminum cans for the sided and roof. he said" naw"... again.... he asked am I trying to dive him crazy.
barnie.gif

"Ondura "is sold at Lowes. I dont want steel ..too heavy. Fiberglass corrugated is hard to find. Some we have is prob close to 50 yrs old.
ours, heavyweight corrugated fiberglass in green is off of old patio cover from a former neighbor remodeling... We have those pcs here on a shed, open air shed...
also thought about aluminum awnings, old ones... but long way off found some...on Craigs List...
trying to repurpose stuff.
thanks all

heres so far....Hubby is now cutting down the used camper door he bought this morning. lots of work. I found a nicer unit... whole topper, 2 hrs away from here each way.....already small door with two built in side windows..... but he doe not want to drive the distance..
The local guy also had a rectangular window... unfortuntely window arent quite where they should be.. cause the plywood was from where he prev was going to add to the Tractor coop.....
also he bought a bolt on jack that swivels up for the trailer tongue....
need some more suggestions......Yall some input please

I dont know how to rearrange these pics so that whole Rv shows first.. before I submit button.. ah well
wish I could find more of those new elongated trapozoid looking ones

yeah aart concerned about ventilation too but safe too. Raccoons are bound at other place.... That why I wanted him to make it less tall so it could be put in a garage at nite... HUBBY said "make up your mind" heck I don't know I have to see something Can not visualize stuff very well....Its kind of big approx framed in at 11 ft long and about 6 feet wide. It was a boat trailer..... cause it about 16 feet long. and still had old boat winch on it....
It didn't seem that big when we were discussing it Heavy leaf springs on it..too.. only reason we bought it. Guy on You tube made a camper out of one w/o plan... wish we could fin aluminum sheet siding, used...def don't want heavy steel....
Its old I beam construction... I dint even want Hubby to use 2 by 4s... I dont know why he couldn't have used 2 by 2 or 2 by 3s.... I said to him "more places for the mites etc to hide"....
I wish we had pulled thru the local " dump "and asked the lady to weigh it...before he started work on it....
The dump is only mile or so away... Its called a" transfer station"

Last edited:
Load rating should be on a tag on the trailer.
Should be fine for moving around the yard, but taking it on the road could be another story.

Hubby said "no tag", trailer prob homemade......Naw its going on road.. back roads. just 15 miles or so away... Its a heavy duty trailer and looking for light weight products inside.. that why I asked Hubby why the 2 by 8 under the !/2 plywood floor....?
Now to find portable chicken netting electrified.... or solar for other home with not much yard...mostly concreted and graveled lot....lakefront woods....

Last edited:
finally found and ordered corrugated aluminum for the roofing. that and found the heavy fiberglass corrugated too. One piece of that may use it on roof for more light...The aluminum special ordered was $3.75 a lineal foot.. Only avaliable in mill finish.. without waiting for it.wanted WHITE....
had factory cut it in 4 foot lenghts... the aluminum is "patterened or pebbly looking"....Panels are 38 inches wide.. so when lapped make 3 feet wide.. Lighter but bit more expensive than corrugated steel....
Company is"Metal Sales" " located in Indiana... had to order thru a distrubtor.. .and they transferred it a bit closer....
Would like to put in on outside too. but dont know how those windows we have would work.. since the windows are rv or camper or topper type units....
need more suggestions.... may or may not take them. BUT will read them.....
Prob will have to use aluminum coil stock to cover outside....vinyl siding prob would not work....

Back
Top Bottom