Dominance or friendliness

daxigait

Free Ranging
8 Years
Aug 10, 2015
SW Missouri
I am afraid that my one hens behavior may be dominance. If so what should I do? Georgie is one of my six month old Barred rocks likes to fly up onto my back/arm/shoulder if I kneel down to talk to her or her and others. What do you think?

That is normal behavior for hand tamed birds, not dominance. Dominance would be expressed by pecking and biting.

Good. I thought she was just coming to socialize and be curious since the first time I was building nest boxes. She came to check it out and that time she startled me since I was bent over driving a screw and she landed on my head. The next time I was sitting on the steps, she came over talked for a minute and flew up and landed on my arm.

They will usually go from acting terrified of people to suddenly friendly and curious around the time they start laying.

I'd say it's borderline.....not aggressive dominance and not really 'friendly' rather more like 'too familiar' or 'looking for food'.
I don't allow my birds to fly onto my body, or even jump...... could cause injury..... or poopy 'good' clothes. haha

She is Georgie because she is so curious. I don't really feed treats except occasionally a food item I set out or a handful of corn I toss out into the coop when I sing chicks in the coop chickens in the coop to bring them in before dusk if I am leaving and need them in from free ranging.

Last edited:
I have been reluctant to discourage her too much because except for the really young lavender Orpingtons she is one of only two that will come up to me.

I have been reluctant to discourage her too much because except for the really young lavender Orpingtons she is one of only two that will come up to me.
Coming up to you to be picked up is different than flying at your head to land on your shoulder.
I have 2 brahmas that like to be picked up, they used to fly onto my shoulder and back but I broke them of it by throwing them off my body,
but they still walk up to me and I pick them up sometimes.

OK I guess it is like with young horses. You let them come up to you, but they are taught to leave space and you touch them. Also any attempt at nuzzling is strictly disciplined.

Back
Top Bottom