Dominiques

allcreatures

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
Montana
Does anyone have some Dominiques, I'm in the process of possibly purchasing a few, but don't even know what they look like or what their temperment is. Please post a photo or two and thanks for the help.

Actually they are barred but not as cleanly as a barred rock. They also have rose combs and a more swept tail. I'd love to find some nice dominiques but haven't been able to find what I'm looking 4.

These are not my birds....
Here is a picture of a nice Dominiques rooster.
They should weight around roosters 7 lbs hens 5 lbs ( more or less for hatchery stock)
33115_imag011a.jpg

Here is a real nice bantam Dominiques rooster.
Bantams should weight around roosters 28 oz hens 24 oz ( more or less for hatchery stock)
33115_winslow-nepc07.jpg

In comparison the Dominiques is a medium size bird compared to the Barred Rock.
Barred Rock are 9.5 lbs for rooster and 7.5 lbs for the hens. ( more or less for hatchery stock) Body type and barring is different all so.
Here is a nice Barred Rock rooster.
33115_272555856.jpg

And here is a nice bantam Barred Rock rooster
Bantams should weight around roosters 36 oz hens 32 oz ( more or less for hatchery stock)
33115_227362092.jpg

Chris

Hi, I bought this beautiful roo as a chick and sold him to my aunt. He was hatched by Mr. Bob Berry or bobsbiddies here on BYC. He is NPIP certified to ship nationwide and I doubt you can beat his prices, I think he can sex them also. You can go to his personal page to see more pics of his birds and contact him at <[email protected]>.

37373_100_4437.jpg

37373_100_4438.jpg

We raise Dom's, and the parent stock was from show birds. BUT I do not show chickens so I cannot speak as to their show quality. I will try to get some pics in the daylight. Our birds are very docile, and HUge birds. I also know that the parent stock was imported from Europe. I was having a hard time finding the old timey, true to standard type Dom's also until I found these. I also had to drive 5 hours ONE way to get the eggs.

Dominiques are pretty popular here where I live in the South and people I know who have them seem to like them (I have no personal experience with them). I was surprised to see them listed as a rare breed in an article I was reading recently. The Georgia Dept of Ag puts out a Market Bulletin every couple of weeks online that usually has Dominiques for sale from private individuals, though I don't know if they would ship them.

I have 5 that are 8 weeks old. They are the friendliest of the bunch, the only ones I can pick up. I have a roo that looks a lot like the pics already posted (or he will when he gets a bit older). I really like them.

Back
Top Bottom