Dominiques

Hi all, especially "West Texas Farmboy". I live in Far West Texas, about 16 miles south-south west of Dell City as the Ultralight flies, in Hudspeth County.
My sweetie pie and I are building our Hanger Home ourselves, while we live in it, and starting this winter, we will build a 16 by 24 hen house, with attached 24 by 32 coyote and hawk proof scratch yards attached to the two long walls of the building. In the Spring, we want to get a dozen sexed Dominique hens, and two Dominique roosters, from a chick shipper that sells sexed chicks. There will be a center walkway down the middle of the house, Six hens and one rooster will be housed on the north side of the house with their own yard, and six hens and one rooster will be housed on the south site with their own yard, Six hens and a rooster in each 24 by 32 yard will be as close to "free range" as I can afford to fence in to protect them from all predators.
Until I was eight, we had chickens, (I'm 62 now), and I have always loved how the Dominiques looked, and their eggs tasted. I will always keep that number of chickens, any eggs that we can't consume, we will give away.
Sabrina (Brie for short)

We started some Dominique chicks this year. I call them my "pants chickens." They don't like to be picked up a lot, but when they see us coming they run up, and peck at my shoes and pants optimistically hoping that something that tastes good will fall out. B^) They are the funniest chickens I have ever had - if one is in the corner and wants out, it will zip right over the backs of the others.

Very active, very alert, but not hysterical like a Leghorn.

The Dominiques really impress me with their dedication to foraging and important hen business. If our sensor light comes on at night, they will exit the coop and head for the feeder, and then often will try to scratch around in the dust bath since they are ever hopeful. We had a few nights in the upper 20s and it didn't deter them from their midnight snackings.

I picked up 7 straight run that were born 1 Oct 13. They are very energetic and are growing fast. Today we discovered at least one is a rooster. He is attempting to crow but can't seem to get it right. lol

We are eagerly anticipating our batch! Will be another week before we get them ordered. We tried with all our might and smarts to find a more local breeder but no such luck. If anyone knows of anyone in the New England area who does breed please let us know!

J&M

Last edited:
Last Spring I bought 18 biddies from a local feed store that were marked "Barred Rock Pullets"...after asking a lot of questions around here due to being a New Egg, and about 3 months time, I realized I had a bunch of roosters...I did end up with 4 "rose comb" pullets and 4 Barred Rock pullets and 10 roosters. So I gave away a couple of good looking guys and kept one for myself that had a "rose comb". From what I read, this means I have 4 Dom hens and a roo....is that correct? Or do you suppose they are a cross...or somebody just doesn't know the difference?!?!?!

These chickens are sooo happy and gentle...my roo is very nice to his little hens too! They free range from about 10 AM til nearly roosting time when I shut them away from the local coyote band raids...which is how I lost the remainder of the roos. They are very eager to get out and scratch up whatever is out there that chickens love to find. So, I agree that they are good foragers and when allowed out they pretty much take care of that high feed bill I have heard so much about.

AND, yes, their eggs ARE delish!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom