Don't know breed or gender

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013

As far as breed goes, I know the father is a Black Australorp, but the mother most likely be either a Barred Rock, Dominique, or Mottled Java (I have others, but they don't have white on them).

I don't know about gender.

It's about 7 1/2 weeks old.

Sorry if the pictures are blurry. It REALLY didn't want to be held; very hard to take a picture with only one have when it's moving around constantly trying it's best to escape.

Yup, that's a boy. With the single comb I would go with the rock mom, because of the uniform barring, and rose/pea combs are dominant so the dominique is less likely. When he gets all his sickle feathers in, he will probably have some that are solid green/black with the rest barred (from the black dad), so he'll be either beautiful, (or delicious depending on your plans).

You have a black sex link cockerel.

With the barring color, the momma had to be either the Rock or the Dominique. A barred hen covered by a non-barred rooster will throw barred males and non-barred females, so sexing them at hatch is easy peasy. Males have a white/cream spot on the head, females don't.

If the Dominique was the momma, the dominant rose comb would have come through. This guy's straight comb means the Rock was the momma.

Back
Top Bottom