Don't know what breed or gender you have? Click here!

Got it from a local breeder. Also got 3 australopres that turned orange within the first few weeks...I figure them to be Wyandottes. She threw the dark brahma in as a gift as I had to bring one buff brahma back to swap after getting it home...it had a wound. The dark brahma is a cool bird however first to do everything and taught all the others how to walk the ramp and get back in at night. If it is a rooster it doesn't have a comb yet but The feathering is what puzzles me after what I've researched.
Ah. I'm going to guess one parent was dark Brahma but the other wasn't. It will be interesting to see how it comes out.

This is less a question of breed and more a question of color.

These two are part of a project I'm working on so if anyone can identify color, I'd appreciate it!

Lineage as follows...
Great grandparents: (unknown sire line), pure silkie dam line
Grandparents: standard blue splash cochin cock, white silkie hen
Parents: black-skinned silkie(x)cochin hen, buff cochin bantam cock

The babies are both black skinned (well, mostly), have pea combs, have five toes, and have grey/black shanks with yellow pads.
The black one has brown feathering from its head running all the way down the breast and covering some of the shoulders. The little one has not feathered out enough to know. The black one hatched completely black.

20170719_121550.jpg
20170719_121611.jpg

This is less a question of breed and more a question of color.

These two are part of a project I'm working on so if anyone can identify color, I'd appreciate it!

Lineage as follows...
Great grandparents: (unknown sire line), pure silkie dam line
Grandparents: standard blue splash cochin cock, white silkie hen
Parents: black-skinned silkie(x)cochin hen, buff cochin bantam cock

The babies are both black skinned (well, mostly), have pea combs, have five toes, and have grey/black shanks with yellow pads.
The black one has brown feathering from its head running all the way down the breast and covering some of the shoulders. The little one has not feathered out enough to know. The black one hatched completely black.

View attachment 1082466View attachment 1082473
The little one looks like it's Blue or Splash. Can't tell at this point much more than that. The black with gold is birchen patterned, red/gold base color. Birchen is the second most dominant e-locus gene.

Clara 1.JPG Clara 2.JPG Martha 1.JPG Martha 2.JPG Rose 1.JPG Rose 2.JPG SarahJane 1.JPG SarahJane 2.JPG Group shot.JPG I have four chicks that I am hoping can be confirmed as pullets. Two are RIR and two are barred rocks. They are just over 5 weeks old (hatch date June 13). Thanks!

View attachment 1082926View attachment 1082928 View attachment 1082929 View attachment 1082930 View attachment 1082931 View attachment 1082932 View attachment 1082933 View attachment 1082934 View attachment 1082935 I have four chicks that I am hoping can be confirmed as pullets. Two are RIR and two are barred rocks. They are just over 5 weeks old (hatch date June 13). Thanks!
The first looks like a cockerel, the second a female, the third looks a little bit rooish. The fourth and fifth pullets

The first looks like a cockerel, the second a female, the third looks a little bit rooish. The fourth and fifth pullets
I'm not sure how my pics look to others but I posted 9 pics total, 2 of each chick, front and side view and one group shot. Which ones look like cockerels? We are not allowed roosters where I live so I was hoping they were all pullets. I was told that they were 95% sexed. :(

View attachment 1082926View attachment 1082928 View attachment 1082929 View attachment 1082930 View attachment 1082931 View attachment 1082932 View attachment 1082933 View attachment 1082934 View attachment 1082935 I have four chicks that I am hoping can be confirmed as pullets. Two are RIR and two are barred rocks. They are just over 5 weeks old (hatch date June 13). Thanks!
For the reds, compare the combs now to the combs they have at 8 weeks. Big change = cockerel, little to none is very likely pullet. I can't see the wing bows in your photos but a dark patch there is also a cockerel sign.

The barred Rocks have female coloring. If they came from a reputable source, they're female. If they might be barnyard mixes, you'll need to do the same as the reds as you can't be sure both parents were barred.

Back
Top Bottom