Dosage for Duramycin/Tetracycline??

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
A friend of mine has a small flock of chickens that have developed a respiratory issue with the sudden cold, wet weather. I told her she could pick up some Tetracycline(now labeled Duramycin) for them but the package only has MG measurements and i can't find a good conversion online.

How much of the powder should she mix with their water? and for how long?

She has Gallon size waterers and her problem was she couldn't find a tsp/tbsp, "everyday" measurement for the medicine.

Last edited:
Okay, well i just searched again for dosage and found a link back to BYC...(DUH!)... and this is quoted from BYC'er ToniLee

"I called Durvet, directly, for small dosage instructions. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water, made fresh daily. So, doing the math, that's 3/4 of a teaspoon per quart."

Last edited:
Quote:
WRONG!
I had to give my chickens 200-400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride per day in a gallon of water for seven days as a preventative just in case they might have caught the respiratory disease from my rooster that spent a week at the vet's.

I knew that 400 mg = 0.014109 oz . = 0.084654 teaspoon

My pharmacist used a special scale and measured out 400 mg. It's about 1/20+/- of a teaspoon. Since I have 12 bbs Orpingtons drinking the water, I put 1/10+/- of a teaspoon in two gallons of water. I have to change the water every day for seven days though because the tetracycline powder/water solution only lasts for one day.
ETA Also, I have to throw the eggs down the garbage disposal for two weeks. They cannot be used for humans or dogs or chickens for those two weeks.

Last edited:
Ok, I have to start this tetracycline (Duramycine or however that is spelled) and now I'm confused, a bit... Is it 1 tenth of a teaspoon per two gallons of water or 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. I need to start today.... Help!

Quote:
It's 1/10th of a teaspoon in two gallons of water for seven days. The tetracycline will only remain viable for twenty-four hours, so dump out remaining water every morning and add two more gallons of fresh, medicated water.
Throw away all eggs for fourteen days or save them and put in an incubator to hatch .

Quote:
I poured the 181 gram bag of Duramycin-10 into a measuring cup and it measured right around 1 cup.

It says that the 181 grams of powder contains 10 grams of tetracycline, so that means that there's 10 grams of tetracycline in a cup of Duramycin-10.

1 cup is 16 tablespoons, which is 48 teaspoons. So I divided 48 into 10 grams to get the number of grams of tetracycline per teaspoon of powder, which is 0.204 grams of tetracycline/teaspoon of powder.

1 tsp of Duramycin-10 equals 0.204 grams = 204 mg, which means that I want to add 2 teaspoons per gallon

I want to dose my hens at 400mg tetracycline per gallon of water, but I only have 3 hens so I want to mix it by the pint not the gallon.

A pint is 1/8 of a gallon, so I want 1/8 of 2 teaspoons Duramycin-10, which is 1/4 of a teaspoon/pint.

Kris

Quote:
WRONG!
I had to give my chickens 200-400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride per day in a gallon of water for seven days as a preventative just in case they might have caught the respiratory disease from my rooster that spent a week at the vet's.

I knew that 400 mg = 0.014109 oz . = 0.084654 teaspoon

My pharmacist used a special scale and measured out 400 mg.

I think he should have measured out 7.2 grams, which is consistent with Durvet's recommedation.

I came up with 400 mg tetracycline HCl equals 7.2 grams of Duramycin-10 powder, because the 400 mg of Tet-HCl is only part of the weight of the Duramycin-10 powder because the powder not 100% Tetracycline. So to get the correct dosage of Tet you have to weigh out 18.1 times the amount of Duramycin-10 powder, which is about 2 teaspoons for 400 mg.

But the dosage isn't just 400mg, it's 400mg per gallon of water. So I would think that getting the correct dosage per bird per day would depend upon figuring out how much water each bird drinks in a day (something Durvet likely bases the recommended dosage on).

Kris
--
Kris Anderson
Williamstown, MA

I just measured out the bag in Tbs. The bag says 1 bag (6.4 oz) will make 25 gallons of water at the 400 mg dosage. So I converted that based on the # of Tbs in the bag, about 12, and it comes out to 1/2 Tbs per gallon or 1.5 Tsps if you need something even smaller.

Back
Top Bottom