Double checking my checklist.

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi, i just wanted to make sure i have all the supplies before i get my 2 welsh harlequins on March 17th! So far i have
- A brooder, for the first week or 2 it will be a very large tote.
- A heating plate
-pine shavings
-large 3 gallon black tub
- And the coop is already almost finsihed, just need to add the siding.
Supplies i will be getting within the next few weeks
-Feed(i will be using Manna Pro duckling feed, unless i can get Purina)
-Nutritional yeast, i cant find brewers yeast at any stores near me but i can find this.
- a kiddie pool and a small pond pump, to keep the water flowing.
- Another brooder unless it is warm enough to be outside.
- water/feed dishes.
- I will be using a paint tray with a metal grid over it to help keep the mess down a little, i know it wont do much though.
Am i missing anything? TIA

Just an added tip use puppy pee pads for at least the first week. That way they will know their feed from the shaving and won’t be as apt to want to eat the shavings. Old towels work too since they can be shook out and washed and reused. Looks like you have everything else covered. Nutritional yeast is a great way to give your duckling the niacin they need. Look forward to seeing pics when they arrive.

Just an added tip use puppy pee pads for at least the first week. That way they will know their feed from the shaving and won’t be as apt to want to eat the shavings. Old towels work too since they can be shook out and washed and reused. Looks like you have everything else covered. Nutritional yeast is a great way to give your duckling the niacin they need. Look forward to seeing pics when they arrive.
Ok, luckily i already have puppy pads! From my puppy i got a few weeks ago! I figured nutritional yeast is better than brewers yeast, and i can find it easier. I will definitely post lots of pictures!

I would recommend getting some Duvet's B complex to keep on hand just in case as well. While you might be fine with adding the nutritional yeast, I am not a fan of Manna pros ducklings starter. It only has 35mg of niacin per pound which is lower than I like for ducklings.

I would recommend getting some Duvet's B complex to keep on hand just in case as well. While you might be fine with adding the nutritional yeast, I am not a fan of Manna pros ducklings starter. It only has 35mg of niacin per pound which is lower than I like for ducklings.
I know, but i cant get any other feed besides Kalmbach in my area, i have to travel about 1 hour to get the Purina. And i will definitely get Duvets B complex. Thanks!

I know, but i cant get any other feed besides Kalmbach in my area, i have to travel about 1 hour to get the Purina. And i will definitely get Duvets B complex. Thanks!
Kalmbach Flock Maker is actually a great feed for both ducklings and ducks if you can find that locally (what I use). I think I have tried just about every brand of feed for my ducks out there and Kalmbach has been noticeably the best. Kalmbach Flock Maker also has a higher niacin content than both Manna Pro Duckling Starter and Purina's Duck Pellets.

Kalmbach Niacin - 45mg per pound (min)
Manna Pro Niacin - 35 mg per pound (min)
Purina Duck Pellets - 55 ppm mg/kg (1 kilogram = 2.205 pounds so that would equal roughly 25 mg per 1 lb or 55 mg for every 2.205 pounds min)
Screenshot_20230221-162359~2.png
Screenshot_20230221-162325~2.png
Screenshot_20230221-162257~2.png

Kalmbach Flock Maker is actually a great feed for both ducklings and ducks if you can find that locally (what I use). I think I have tried just about every brand of feed for my ducks out there and Kalmbach has been noticeably the best. Kalmbach Flock Maker also has a higher niacin content than both Manna Pro Duckling Starter and Purina's Duck Pellets.

Kalmbach Niacin - 45mg per pound (min)
Manna Pro Niacin - 35 mg per pound (min)
Purina Duck Pellets - 55 ppm mg/kg (1 kilogram = 2.205 pounds so that would equal roughly 25 mg per 1 lb or 55 mg for every 2.205 pounds min)
View attachment 3412085View attachment 3412090View attachment 3412089
I can only get kalmbach duckling starter /grower. I have my chickens on Nutrena all flock because they seem to lay more and look healthier. But i think it said i couldnt feed till the ducklings were 7 weeks old.

I can only get kalmbach duckling starter /grower. I have my chickens on Nutrena all flock because they seem to lay more and look healthier. But i think it said i couldnt feed till the ducklings were 7 weeks old.
Kalmbach's duck feeds also have the same Niacin content as their Flock Maker. As far as what the bag says You can feed all flock at any age long as the protein % is appropriate. If it's in pellet form you will need to wet it to a mash for the first couple of weeks.

Kalmbach's duck feeds also have the same Niacin content as their Flock Maker. As far as what the bag says You can feed all flock at any age long as the protein % is appropriate. If it's in pellet form you will need to wet it to a mash for the first couple of weeks.
Just to make sure they get a good start ill do kalmbach duckling feed. With extra niacin, then when do you reccomend switching to all flock?

Just to make sure they get a good start ill do kalmbach duckling feed. With extra niacin, then when do you reccomend switching to all flock?
I believe Kalmbach's duck feed can be fed from ducklings through adulthood if it is this one that you are referring to:
download.jpeg

If you wanted to keep them on that permanently you could. If you would like to switch to the all flock you could do that as soon as a month or wait until 7-8 weeks. Usually the biggest difference between the labels "starter" and "all flock" is the protein % and not so much the feed itself.

Back
Top Bottom