DOUBLE yolker - yolk Hatched! Video p. 16 ** 13 Week PICS ** p. 51

What I learned in my two experiences is that lower temps help to have smaller chicks and with two chicks in a shell use only the largest of DY egg (which I did) and keep the temps a little lower.

My little Hovabator tends to suddenly jump from 99-100 steady to 103 or even 108. My first batch of chicks had 100 % hatch even though the temp jumped to 108 on at least two occasions and stayed there for hours while I was gone or sleeping. That batch all had to be helped out of their shells because they could pip but were too large to turn and zip. They were huge - not a bit of extra space in shell. In fact as I carefully zipped their shells, the egg would expand in my hand. Since then I've had better luck at keeping the temps steady at 99-101.

However, that first double yolker did have some temps that got higher and the two chicks were really big and there was no extra space in egg except a tiny air cell at each end. Notice how large they are when laid out. They would be considered big chicks if they came out of a single egg.

The second set of twins were kept at 99 and one made it to pipping and chirping and there was more room in egg and the chicks were smaller than the first set.

I only set the two largest double yolkers that looked as if they would have room for twins. If I ever do it again I would:

Only set the largest egg
Keep the temps at 99, maybe 98
Wait 22 days before attempting to "help".

That's what I did this last time and was surprised to see the one pip at day 20. I was prepared to wait till day 22 and help at that point by making a small hole in each air cell.

Hope this helps others who are trying to set a DY.

Can't wait for the updates - really pulling for these little twins. I truly want to see someone be able to do it so then "they" can be proven wrong when "they" say it can't be done.

Last edited:
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I thought about this today too and figured twins would need cooler temperatures to really be successful since each chick would produce its own body heat and would then increase the temperature in the egg. I wonder how many twins end up dying from getting too hot? Anybody know how much heat a single chick generates or "adds" to the temperature inside a tabletop incubator?

Time needs to move faster.
tongue.png
I want twin updates too.
smile.png

All I have to say is stop opening the bator. Single or double chick, opening it again and again just slows them down and dries them up. Less is more, especially if you want them to make it. If the thermostat is working right, the heat from the chicks should just reduce the heat added by the bator.

needmorechickens! :

I am leaving work in about 5 minutes!!!!!
must drive safely...must drive safely...
wee.gif

~Rebecca

Where is Kit and the night rider when you need turbo boost to get you where you need to be!!!!
barnie.gif
th.gif

so siince she put a moist towel over it gives them plenty more time to develop right, so it could work out! i really want it too!

Back
Top Bottom