Drooping wings, can no longer get into hen house

Minnie Mooseth

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I have an older chicken, she could be 9-10 years old. In the past couple weeks she stopped getting in the hen house at night. I watch her try to jump in about a week ago but she didn't even get close. Every night I go out there and put her in the henhouse. Today I noticed that both of her wings are hanging low to the ground. Seems like she feels okay though, and she still wants to eat. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on?

I know my local state run animal health lab will do a necropsy on backyard poultry for only $12, which includes gross examination and all in house lab testing the vet deems appropriate. That might be something to look into if she passes, so that like Eggcessive says you will know if you should only purchase vaccinated chicks in the future.

Thank you, I think I figured it out actually. I believe she has Marek, which another hen had a few months ago. Sadly, it is contagious.

Did you confirm Mareks with a necropsy? There can be a lot of things that can cause drooping wings, such as dehydration and illnesses that make them weak. I would leave her in her coop near her food and water to rest for a couple of days. A dog crate or basket with food and water would be good, and if necessary you can place her near her flock or inside your house. She is so old that she may just be in failing health, or having trouble seeing food and water or getting around. Mareks usually affects young birds, unless a carrier is brought into the flock. Have you added any new birds lately?

Thank you for replying Eggcessive.

We had a hen die about 6 months ago. We took her to the vet and he cared for her over the weekend at his home, but concluded that it was probably Marek's. We had her euthanized when she could no longer move and was unable to get food and water on her own. But, yes I agree it may just be her old age. She is about 10 years old.

We only have 2 hens; they were rescued from someone who couldn't keep them. I don't know what kind of situation they were in before they came to us.

Right now she (Phoebe) is in her comfy hen house with food and water nearby. She has declined in health so much today that I don't think she will last much longer.

There is a long article called "The great big giant Mareks faq" to search for at the box top of this page. It lists quite a few lookalike diseases. If you are in the US, most state vets can do t estimg for Mareks with a necropsy. If you do one at home, there can be several things to look for in the organs, such as liver, intestines, crop, and gizzard to help identify Mareks. If you get more chicks in the future, since there may be Mareks in your environment, I would get only vaccinated chicks, and keep them inside for 2-3 weeks to allow full immunity. It sounds like she has lived a full life, so hopefully she will go peacefully.

Back
Top Bottom