Drop in Egg Production

Em Ty

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 3, 2013
St. Clements, ON
Hi All,

Last Saturday I got 3 laying hens. They gave me 3 eggs a day, including the day I got them, except for Monday, when I got 2 eggs. I didn't get any eggs Thursday and only 1 egg Friday. They've gone from an environment where they lived outdoors to inside at a steady 60F and from 18-20% protein feed to 28%. I've given them free choice egg shells (baked at 300F for minimum 30 minutes) and Thursday morning they got agricultural lime as well.

They've had water available 24/7 with ACV in it. Why have they stopped laying?

I would say that the temp difference is the switch up as is the fact that they changed homes; I didn't know that you ag. lime could be used in food for quail. it could also be that they could be slow because of winter, my chickens will lay more some days and less other days so I don't know.

They went from about 25F to 60F, which should be easier on them. The ag lime is the only thing I can think that might be an issue, but it is free choice, not mixed into their food. Unless the higher protein is an issue, I can't see what's putting them off. I would have expected a change in scenery to affect them right off the bat, not after 4 days. They get 15 hours of light a day, up from 12, and I use natural spectrum bulbs. I'm confuzzled.

Hi All,

Last Saturday I got 3 laying hens. They gave me 3 eggs a day, including the day I got them, except for Monday, when I got 2 eggs. I didn't get any eggs Thursday and only 1 egg Friday. They've gone from an environment where they lived outdoors to inside at a steady 60F and from 18-20% protein feed to 28%. I've given them free choice egg shells (baked at 300F for minimum 30 minutes) and Thursday morning they got agricultural lime as well.

They've had water available 24/7 with ACV in it. Why have they stopped laying?

The stress of moving and a new home can throw them off for a while until they settle in. The eggs you got from them initially may have been eggs that were already starting and in the reproductive tract. Hopefully it won't be long until they are back laying again.
If you have them totally inside, what type and amount of lighting do you have? As daylight increases hens usually start laying better.

I think it's just the move that threw them off. I had to pull mine out of their cages for a day to do some maintenance and that stopped them for a few days. should pick back up soon.

Did they start laying again?
Maybe they're union birds and are on strike
wink.png

No representation in their new contract.

Back
Top Bottom