Drought has dried up all my grass! What are you feeding?

We are actually going to try them as a winter crop this year to see how they do. I figure I can seed the pasture the county flooded when they closed the locks north of us. We have brown millet growing now that is doing very well. Also establishing bamboo and once it takes off they can go at it as much as they want.

Watermelon, Cantaloup, and pumpkin all grow well here too, between the geese and goats everything from them gets eaten.

I am starting bamboo.. Geese will eat it? I am starting it to supplement the cows. What kind do you grow/ recommend? How has it been working for you?

Also, I suppose I'm a bit confused.. When you sprout indoors, how large are the trays you are sprouting in? How much would I need to sprout to feed two Sebastopol geese? I'm in southern in, we got hammered by the drought last summer too.. My mini cows had to be put on hay very early. But I don't have to feed them any high quality hay..

My goslings arrive may 28. I feel foolish now, having assumed like my chickens they would eat a feed, and free range as they could.. My girls are out clucking round right now, in 8 degrees, dormant grass, obviously no bugs, but they are still doing their chicken thing..

Can y'all give me a clear idea on how to feed my 2 geese, easily, economically, realistically?

We grow a small garden yearly, mostly tomatos, squash and peppers.

I have 5 acres, mostly wooded, and most of the wooded area is fenced for thev2 mini cows.. They did a fantastic job of brush clearing, and this year I hope to get some pasture grass going in there. It's mostly light shade ... Any thoughts there?

And the rest is yard, that my hens and the geese will have access to.

I'm ping to be adding more fencing too, as we speak, 3 hens just trotted across the road to my neighbors (road being a quiet back road traveled by about 3 cars a day, neighbor is awesome, has chickens too and let's me graze my mini moos on her hill side lol) but I digress... I need some fencing. These birds no no boundaries lol

Back
Top Bottom