Can i give my chickens alfalfa hay or alfalfa grass?

Alfalfa OR hay
Since Alfalfa IS hay I would suggest asking your local feed store for a bale. They should either have a loose or compressed bale. OR the Standlee bagged alfalfa mentioned already is in this green bag at Walmart, TSC, Wilco, etc. They will enjoy it. I get local baled because it grows easily in my climate. You may only have the green bagged option in yours, not sure.

Attachments

• alfalfa.PNG
    alfalfa.PNG
    232 KB · Views: 1
If you have a feed store nearby that has stacks of baled hay, ask them if you can sweep up some of the fallen hay on the ground. Some feed stores will do this themselves and sell bagged sweepings for cheap (usually contains all type of hay, not just alfalfa), but one of my feed stores just gave me a large garbage bag and said have at it! I went to the alfalfa stack and stuffed that bag full of the good stuff on the ground. I also bought a bale of alfalfa thinking they would love to tear apart the compressed flakes, but they seem pretty indifferent to all of it. I'm finally almost done with that bale, then I'm going to stick to the free stuff as an occasional enrichment treat.

Any specifics about exact products would be helpful.

If you want the best, most cost-effective stuff, go to a livestock hay place and ask for a bale of Alfalfa. Don't say Alfalfa Grass because they would think you mean a mix such as Alfalfa & Orchard Grass. Alfalfa itself is a legume not a grass.

If you have trouble finding a real hay place in your area, ask in a local horse group on FB. You could also call a local riding or boarding stable and ask where they get theirs.
Every place in the country is going to have a proper hay seller for horse people and cattle / livestock... it just may not be in the city limits or well-advertised.

I judge hay based on what my horse enjoyed, as the chickens tend to agree... none of them enjoyed the bags of chopped forage or cubes in comparison with fresh hay.
Sadly, TSC does not have good offerings in the hay department.

Since Alfalfa IS hay I would suggest asking your local feed store for a bale. They should either have a loose or compressed bale. OR the Standlee bagged alfalfa mentioned already is in this green bag at Walmart, TSC, Wilco, etc. They will enjoy it. I get local baled because it grows easily in my climate. You may only have the green bagged option in yours, not sure.
Thanks Sandyriverchic, i did see this exact product at TSC. 🐓❤️

Well, there are a variety of products with alfalfa. I was wondering which one might be the best. I now know that the cubes wont be my #1 choice, so i was hoping someone might say - This exact product is what i use. I didnt mean Alfalfa OR hay, i meant, one of the products I seen was alfalfa hay, versus the cubes, or just the word Alfalfa on the bag. Any specifics about exact products would be helpful. Thank you! ! Girls are staying in the wrapped run today because it is WINDY here and my gals do not like getting their feathers ruffled at all! Lol. That term cracks me up. Trying to come up with healthy winter activities and supplements to grass besides growing my own. I think i will still grow the wheat grass. Its just a lot of work to keep up with the volume i would need through winter. Thanks again! 🐓❤️
My feed store sells alfalfa pellets. I bought them to mix into my compost in the winter to keep it going better. The way I use the alfalfa in feed is I make a mash out of the feed pellets and sometimes throw some of the alfalfa pellets in also so they break down. I usually feed my girls a mix of herbs that I dry and save all summer. I put the herbs in hot water to soak for a couple of minutes then pour the liquid (with the herbs) on the feed or feed/alfalfa mix and let it absorb the liquid. The girls really like that!!

can you explain how it's done? sounds interesting!!!
get sprouting seed, soak for 12-24 hrs, people add a very small amount of bleach or hydrogen peroxide in the soak. Strain, and lay out seed in a permeable tray for drainage. Give the tray a good soak morning and night and in 7 days you should have a chunk of it to toss to the chickens. Tons of videos on youtube to show you different ways of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom