Can i give my chickens alfalfa hay or alfalfa grass?

Hello chicken friends! Whats your opinion on Alfalfa grass or hay from the feed store for my chickens during the winter when there is no fresh grass? Stumped on a way to supplement without setting up an indoor grow! Thank you šŸ“ā¤ļø
It should be fine. If I was forgetfull and left a bale out of the bale store the chickens would be at it and spreading it everywhere.:D

They love alfalfa and it's pretty good for them... but keep in mind they will only eat the leaves. The stems are too tough, and not nutritious anyway. The straw gets kicked around everywhere, but they have fun with it.
Make sure you are buying at a place that supplies hay for horses and cattle, not Tractor Supply and the like, because you want fresh bales that are a result of inventory kept moving through, and for a decent price. Some people get the bagged Alfalfa cubes from TSC, and that's okay, but not as fun for them or as nutritious since the stems are ground up into it too. Also, not cost effective.

* If you're not used to handling feed hay, make really sure you are storing it somewhere dry, because mold can happen fast.
Here, it's so humid outdoors that we put the fresh bale in a big garbage bag and bring it inside to a spare room, standing it up tall and leaving the top of the bag open so it can breathe. That way it doesn't get all over the floor and we can easily remove flakes from the open end.

Well, there are a variety of products with alfalfa. I was wondering which one might be the best. I now know that the cubes wont be my #1 choice, so i was hoping someone might say - This exact product is what i use. I didnt mean Alfalfa OR hay, i meant, one of the products I seen was alfalfa hay, versus the cubes, or just the word Alfalfa on the bag. Any specifics about exact products would be helpful. Thank you! ! Girls are staying in the wrapped run today because it is WINDY here and my gals do not like getting their feathers ruffled at all! Lol. That term cracks me up. Trying to come up with healthy winter activities and supplements to grass besides growing my own. I think i will still grow the wheat grass. Its just a lot of work to keep up with the volume i would need through winter. Thanks again! šŸ“ā¤ļø

Back
Top Bottom