dry incubation

so it might be fine? this is my 2nd attempt of hatching eggs,first batch drowned as I had massive humidity spikes in the first 17 days (I think anyway), and it was a bugger to try and keep the rigjt humidity,but with low humidity it is very stable that's y im trying the dry incubation method, hopefully this will work,! god I do hope it works i was gutted with when I lost the 1st batch, I saw the chick move and everything, this is gonna sound weird but I had a bond like feeling, so yeah I was VERY upset, HOPE THIS WORKS XX

so it might be fine? this is my 2nd attempt of hatching eggs,first batch drowned as I had massive humidity spikes in the first 17 days (I think anyway), and it was a bugger to try and keep the rigjt humidity,but with low humidity it is very stable that's y im trying the dry incubation method, hopefully this will work,! god I do hope it works i was gutted with when I lost the 1st batch, I saw the chick move and everything, this is gonna sound weird but I had a bond like feeling, so yeah I was VERY upset, HOPE THIS WORKS XX
I totally know what you mean. My very first hatch I borrowed the incubator from my sister and had to buy a thermometer/hygrometer because she didn't have a working one. I never checked the thermometer for accuracy. I just stuck it in there. I had 17 eggs going into lockdown. They were lively and all moving. I was so excited. I thought they looked a little behind, but was hoping it was just inexperience. Day 21 came and went, so did 22, at the end of 23 I actually had a pip. Chick hatched day 24 and one other pipped and hatched day 25, but died. The rest were all DIS. So dissapopinted. Someone told me to check my thermometer, so I did. It was reading 6 degrees higher than it actually was so my bator was running 6 degrees low the entire time. That is a big part of why I try to help when I can. I know what it feels like to have that dissapointed hatch. Plus, I was using 60%+ for humidity because that's what the book said, so I'm sure if the temps didn't get them, the drowning did.
I gave it another try a few weeks later, this time with 3 thermometers that were accurate and after researching "dry" incubation. I haven't had a bad hatch since and actually had 100% on my last hatch last season.

I bet u were devastated!, my incubator is a pain when it comes to adding water, you could grantee the alarm would go off 5am because the humidity had dropped again!, bare in mind i have 3 kids under the age of 4, god the **** things noisy so no sleep for me, but so far I haven't had to add any water and has kept a pretty consistent humidity at 30%
the lowest its dropped was to 27%, so hopefully the silly alarm won't go off,
1f60a.png
, I am so so hoping that this batch works, so hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have some baby d'uccles
1f602.png
1f607.png
1f44d.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

I bet u were devastated!, my incubator is a pain when it comes to adding water, you could grantee the alarm would go off 5am because the humidity had dropped again!, bare in mind i have 3 kids under the age of 4, god the **** things noisy so no sleep for me, but so far I haven't had to add any water and has kept a pretty consistent humidity at 30%
the lowest its dropped was to 27%, so hopefully the silly alarm won't go off,
1f60a.png
, I am so so hoping that this batch works, so hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have some baby d'uccles
1f602.png
1f607.png
1f44d.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
fl.gif
Best of luck! Hope to hear good things.

I'm confused about the concept of dry incubation and increasing humidity. How do you increase humidity if it is truly dry?
The term "dry incubation" is very misleading. I use the term "low humidity incubation" because that is really what it is. You don't want no humidity, but a lot of the time you can run dry and still run at 25 or 30% humidity. More if you are in a humid climate. I only run truely dry if the bator will stay above 25% when it's dry. I don't like anything lower than that for any period of time. If it won't hold that dry I add a wet sponge to the bator and that usually holds it about 30%.

At hatch you need humidity. No matter what you do the first 17 days, those babies need moisture to hatch out. Most people increase to at least 60-65%. If you are a hands off hatcher that's fine. I hatch at 75% because I am so not a hands off hatcher.

Here's more about the concept: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

ETA: It's NOT recommended for high altitude hatching. Higher elevations need higher humidity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom