Dubbing for frostbite opinion

Athena2344

Songster
5 Years
Aug 7, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
Hello all, I am in south Texas and after the horrible cold front we had this past week with snow, ice and freezing temps, as well as with working, today was the first day I was able to thoroughly go through and check my entire flock of chickens. All of my hens are fine, as well as four of my roosters. However, two of them have frostbite of their combs. The first one is a free-range barred rock, he's about 9 months old, and the entire top third of his comb is black. The second one is my cochin bantam rooster, about half of his comb is frostbit, as well as some on his wattles. The skin on the back of his comb is already starting to slough off, and it looks infected, there is a good bit of oozing going on. I was trying to find a solution, and came across dubbing. I do work in a vet clinic and am going to talk to the vets tomorrow to see what they think/recommend on the procedure. In the meantime, I was wondering what y'all recommend in this situation. In both, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the comb is compromised, one looks infected, and I don't want them to suffer and slowly have their combs rot off, or get an even worse infection. The picture below is of the cochin bantam. IMG_20210221_121705.jpg

Personally, if I were to dub to prevent frostbite, I would do it after it's healed. It is probably incredibly sore and holding it to cut wouldn't help the pain at all
I hadn't planned on freezing temps, nor for frostbite... I just don't want to wait and a bigger infection sets in and they're even more painful and miserable. Depending on what the vets think, we may be able to numb the area, and then dub their combs.

I know he probably doesn't even notice it, but that looks terrible... My boys look terrible at the moment. Thank you for showing a healed frostbite picture.
That's actually not healed yet. Once it's healed, the color will be back to normal red, no yellow or black left. He handles it well, but he's a tough guy. I have one that I have now with the blister stage that is much more sensitive. Do yours have any toes with frost bite?

That's actually not healed yet. Once it's healed, the color will be back to normal red, no yellow or black left. He handles it well, but he's a tough guy. I have one that I have now with the blister stage that is much more sensitive. Do yours have any toes with frost bite?
Luckily everyone's toes are fine. On the barred rock roo, the top of his comb is cold to the touch and he doesn't react when I pinch it. But if I pinch the rest of his comb where it's red, he'll pull away. All the tips/point of his comb are stiff and kinda "crispy" feeling.

Luckily everyone's toes are fine. On the barred rock roo, the top of his comb is cold to the touch and he doesn't react when I pinch it. But if I pinch the rest of his comb where it's red, he'll pull away. All the tips/point of his comb are stiff and kinda "crispy" feeling.
The tines on combs are usually the first to go. It's good about toes though. Usually my poor boys lose a toe or four

Back
Top Bottom