dubbing our chickens today

I think a big comb is part of what makes a rooster beautiful.

Me, too!!!!

No, Katy, you're not losing it. I did close it, then thought better of it. Even when these things get a mite testy, with some restraint, they can be turned back into a satisfying discussion again.​

Quote:
It's equated to docking some of the working dogs' tails in the AKC world. Docking and dubbing of show animals goes back a loooooong way. I raise rat terriers and they also have tails docked, even though they aren't an AKC dog breed. Although the whole showing thing can be controversial, in dogs, chickens, cats, and a load of other animals, I think it's great for information and telling about the history of the breeds, and it gets a lot of people interested. It's certainly a controversial topic, though!

Just a minor clarrification: Modern Games were never bred for fighting, Old English Games were. Modern Games are strictly a fanciers creation. If you ever saw how clumsey some of them can be with those big long legs you'd realize they just aren't fighters.

I DID NOT INTEND FOR THIS TO GET "UNCIVIL"
i just asked 2 simple questions.
i am terribly sorry if i offended anyone.

but i honestly didnt know that dubbing was a testy subject.

I veiw dubbing as a health precaution and a way to make a rooster look better.
I personally dont see anything wrong with it
if its done right it wont hurt the bird
its a show requirement for old english game birds

so with that said.

I think i'm done with my topic =]

No need to apologize whitehallgamepullet....a forum should be a place for questions asked and answers received, if someone takes offence, then they need do nothing more than close the window or hit the back button. I dub my birds as well, have for 30+ years, in the end they are my birds...if I want, I can dub them even closer(just below the head) and send them to the cook pot...or if I want to dress them in period costumes and recreate a John Wayne western, hey they are my chickens...they are poultry, they are livestock, and in the end as long as they please me, then that is all that matters, otherwise I'll get rid of them and take up origami or something, LOL...so keep the questions coming, it is how we all learn....good luck with your fowl, show us some pics if ya can, always like to see others birds...

(oops, also I need to apologize for my misspellings, I think I may have crossed the APA judge.....)

C

Quote:
hahahaha!!!!
that was funny.
i cant wait until the dubbing is done though. they will look great =]
and i have a question pc. can the chickens feel there wattles/comb being taken off

Just throwing my two cents in here. If everyone feels so strongly about cruel practices,, why not stop ordering chicks from Mcmurray or the other large hatcheries? They throw their male chicks into the grinder, they cut off chicken's beaks? Those are barbaric acts of cruelty and every time someone places an order, it's supporting those practices.

I don't condone the dubbing either, I think it's silly and cruel,, plus, when an animal control person sees birds that have been dubbed, they will then watch the owners closely, because dubbing, to them, is a sure sign of cockfighting.

Just pointing out that you cannot condemn one form of cruelty while supporting another.

Hey prariechicken - If you decide on that period costume/movie thing will you please post pics.

Everyone makes valid points and is entitled to their own opinion. I personally agree with prariechicken.
I see this as no different than docking dogs ears or tails. How may people have had their daughters ears pierced before she was old enough to make that decision.
I think we all do things including killing snakes and spiders that "someone" would find cruel and unnecessary.
As much as I can't see me dubbing chickens - I also can see me having that baked chicken casserole tonight for dinner.

To each his own.

I dub about 30-40 Modern Game bantams a year. It is done with forethought and consideration so the cockerell's have the least amount of discomfort. They bleed very little and they react in a way that shows that they feel very little.

Now I can see how the uninformed and inexperienced can vision this as cruel but it is not. You want to see something that is painful try burning the horns off of a week old baby goat or castrate a hog. These things are required by Stock shows, just as dubbing is for ABA/APA shows.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom