dubbing our chickens today

I don't think that frostbite has anything to do with fertility, I have a big ole boy that lost his points from frostbite and I have mega chicks that he fathered since then.
big_smile.png

Dubbing does have a place in modern chicken breeds, but it is a minimal one. Sometimes it is done for cosmetic reasons, but most times, not.

Dubbing is most commonly done on breeds of chickens that have abnormally large combs. These combs can be detrimental to the bird's overall health. For one thing, overly large combs have a bad tendency to flop over to one side, covering the chicken's vision on that side. If the animal is free-ranging, that is a huge disability, especially for a rooster, who is responsible for spotting predators and sounding alarm for the entire flock.

Another reason that dubbing is done is, as previously mentioned, to prevent frostbite on birds. It is much better to have the comb removed under sterile conditions and with the proper medical attention afterwards, than to have it slowly turn gangrenous and rot off of the bird (and yes this is how frostbite works). The impact to the health of the bird is very positive.

A third non-cosmetic reason for dubbing is an effect that is still being felt in Game birds, who have been bred for centuries to be aggressive with one another. Having a large comb and wattles is a neon sign to each other, and tearing and savaging of the combs is common. Dubbing is a lot safer and more healthy to the bird than having it ripped off by a dirty beak.

While I understand that many view dubbing to be cruel, and are quick to dismiss the practice, it is, like many issues, a practice that has many sides to it. It is worth understanding it fully before standing so firmly on one side or another.

And while it is valid to simply give up on breeds that require dubbing, it would also be equally valid to want to preserve our heritage through preserving the breed, and to work on the standard from the inside out. To wit: breeding for smaller combs, and joining the breeding club and rousing support for a change in standard from within.

I too have a roo that has frostbite on the tips I'm going to wait and see how he does. I know the tips are going to fall off but if he gets any kind of infection I will have him dubbed. I think it is far less cruel than if he should get gangrene. I have lots of ventilation in my coop none of my other big comb chickens have frostbite. I think it is from the way he sleeps, he tucks his beak in his wing and his comb is sticking out. I figure it is the condensation from his breath that caused the frostbite, that and the polar vortex.

I need to know how, and at what age, to dub some Brown Leghorn cockerels I'm getting. I plan to cross them on pea-comb hens (Easter Eggers) and only keep the pea-combed offspring, but I'll have to keep the Leghorn roosters for at least a year and their combs will definitely freeze in the winter if they aren't dubbed. (My chicken quarters are VERY well ventilated -- they are partly open on the side facing away from the prevailing winds. But when it gets way below zero, large single combs freeze.)

Kathleen

Its best to dub when the bird has grown to its fullest potential. I would say if you are getting birds in early spring, dubbing them in mid to late fall before the temp extremes drop to the bitter cold that freezes the combs would be no problem. Don't forget that wattles also freeze in bitter cold temps and can be dubbed as well as combs.

I dub my roosters in between 5 and 8 months depends on the bird and how it grows if you dub to early then the comb will stick up about a quarter inch but if your just using them for breeding then that's OK how you do it is first you get your scissors dip them in alcohol then you make sure you have everything you will need you'll need scissors ,flour , alcohol , towel after you get all of your stuff your going to rap your bird in the towel with his legs sticking out of one end and the head out of the other you can either have someone hold the bird or you can sit down and hold the bird between your legs after you do this your going to hold the earlobe with one hand slightly pull the earlobe with the other hand cut as close to the head as possible then go to the other earlobe and do the same thing then you do the wattles this is where things can go bad fast slightly pull the wattle and start at the back and cut towards the beak not towards the neck then do the other wattle then go to the comb I cut from the back to the front it all depend on how you want to do it what your going to do is get as close to the head as possible and start cutting the bird might make a sound but just ignore it and finish cutting it off once you have it off wipe every thing down with the towel dip the birds head in ice cold water then sprinkle flour on the comb. Wattles and earlobes pat it down softly not hard check to see if it starts bleeding again if it does sprinkle some more flour on it after you done with that stick the bird in a darkened holding pen or box check on the bird about a hour later at this time it should be dried blood if so then leave him alone until the next morning take him out and stick him back with the other. Chicken's and they will peck at him but if he's the boss then once he reclaims his dominance they will leave him alone PS I recommend watching someone with expierence before you do it or watch a video on it a few times if not done properly your bird could bleed to death if your afraid to do it then find someone who will do it for you

Back
Top Bottom