D'uccle breeders Database

Pics
Quote:
If you are referring to Lavender or Self-blue, yes I have quite a few chicks that are 7wks old and younger.
Nancy

Actually, I was meaning the true Gray -- not lavender. I can't even find pictures of any truly 'gray' d'uccles!

After reading the standards for the color gray, I believe Ronnie was right when he told me no one in the US had grays any longer. They sound like beautiful birds!

They are not (according to what I've read) actually gray (or blue or lavender), but a very particular pattern of black and white.

Quote:
Actually, I was meaning the true Gray -- not lavender. I can't even find pictures of any truly 'gray' d'uccles!

After reading the standards for the color gray, I believe Ronnie was right when he told me no one in the US had grays any longer. They sound like beautiful birds!

They are not (according to what I've read) actually gray (or blue or lavender), but a very particular pattern of black and white.

I love to see a picture of that color
hmm.png

Quote:

I love to see a picture of that color
hmm.png

I have a gray silkie cockeral. Is this the color you are referring to?
46048_gandalph_2.jpg

46048_gandalph_4.jpg

46048_gandalph_3.jpg

To me, joanie, those look lavender or self-blue.
Here's the gray description. It reads as more of a pattern than a color.

Plumage: Color of Male:
Head: White with silver luster.
Neck: Hackle – silvery white with slender black strip through middle of each feather, terminating in
a point short of its lower extremity, to match saddle. Front of neck same as breast.
Back: White with silver luster.
Saddle: Silvery white with slender black stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating in a point
short of its lower extremity, to match Hackle.
Tail: Main Tail – Black. Sickles & lesser Sickles – Black, with brilliant greenish sheen. Coverts, brilliant
Greenish black.
Wings: Shoulder & Fronts – black. Bows – white with silver luster. Coverts- brilliant black, forming a distinct bar
across wing. Primaries - Black. Secondaries – black, exposed portion of outer web forming wing bay, brilliant black.
Breast: Lustrous black, each feather evenly laced with silvery white.
Body, Stern & Lower Thighs: Black
Undercolor: Dull slaty black.

Color of Female:
Head: White
Neck: Hackle –Black with narrow white lacing. Front of neck same as breast.
Back & Cushion: Black.
Tail: Main Tail – Black. Coverts, black with some luster.
Wings: Shoulder & Fronts – black. Bows – black. Coverts- black, with some luster. Primaries -Dull Black.
Secondaries – black, exposed portion of outer web forming wing bay, black with some luster.
Breast: Lustrous black, each feather evenly laced with white.
Body, Stern & Lower Thighs
Undercolor: Dull slaty black

I have a pullet from my project pen that is a PERFECT description except for one thing: She has a black head rather than a silvery white head.
I know she probably won't throw true, but I have SUCH temptation to try.....

Last edited:
I think so. And my little pullet is gorgeous, even if her head is black.
I think the roosters would take your breath away!

I have black d'Uccles, I have white d'Uccles, I already have some that are different patterns of each.... Including a roo that is almost columbian in his markings, complete with the white head.

The best part is that I'm on the raising stage of my lavenders, so I have room for a new project.... right?

Quote:
Oh absolutely! What would happen if you bred the black/white (grey) birds to the Columbian pattern? Maybe you could get a lighter or white head out of that.
Speaking of projects, what do you do with all the "culls"? I've got some lavenders, ALL cockerels, and I have a buff columbian hen (cochin) that I bred to one of my Partridge roos to improve type. I've got some of those chicks and I'm sure there will be a bunch I won't need. I'm terrible about selling my birds and I'm beginning to think I should stop breeding and just keep the ones I have and show them, rather then going through all this heartache with the selling part.

Quote:
Oh absolutely! What would happen if you bred the black/white (grey) birds to the Columbian pattern? Maybe you could get a lighter or white head out of that.
Speaking of projects, what do you do with all the "culls"? I've got some lavenders, ALL cockerels, and I have a buff columbian hen (cochin) that I bred to one of my Partridge roos to improve type. I've got some of those chicks and I'm sure there will be a bunch I won't need. I'm terrible about selling my birds and I'm beginning to think I should stop breeding and just keep the ones I have and show them, rather then going through all this heartache with the selling part.

You wouldn't like me much when it comes to breeding. I'm really mean. If they are terribly slow to feathers (lavs defect) I put them in a hole in the ground. I don't want to pass on bad genetics, even to folks who say they want pet birds.
The other spares I take to poultry shows and sell.

Of the current 100 chicks I have, I plan to pick 2-3 cockerels that I like for type and color of each variety. I'll try to keep ALL pullets that I can this time around, unless there are some that I consider PQ due to feet. Sadly, this has been a cockerel year and I'll have a bunch to sell. Any that doesn't sell on the 7th I'll take to another show on the 21st, along with any others I decide are 'unworthy' of sticking around.

I'll be taking a BUNCH of young mille chicks to the show to sell. They didn't start laying early enough for me to start many, so I'll keep the 3-6 week olds and sell some 'newborns'.

I really do try not to get too attached to them. There will be a few I keep from curiosity or sweetness, but mostly I keep myself to strict judging by qualities. Can I show it? Can I bred it after that? If not, pop it in the sale pen.

The columbian roo I was keeping out of curiosity. I think I'll make up a mixed pen of black and white birds that are good type but color-culls and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom