Duck acting lethargic and unable to walk, opening and closing mouth

Thanks everyone for all the informative feedback...she is still unable to walk, but is making her happy clicking sound and nodding her head, and layed an egg this morning. From the research on zinc poisoning i read last night it does say in all cases it results in death. so i am spending as much time with her as i can before she goes. I do wish i had $thousands to take her to a vet and have the penny removed and her treated for poisoning, but i dont.
sad.png
Thanks again to everyone who offered some feedback! Glad I joined your group.

See if you can find a bird rescue or rehabilitation center/organization that is willing to help you. Perhaps you can make a deal with them or get at least an at cost offer. You never know, people do care. Your vet may be able to assist you too. We once needed a surgery on our dog and didn't have the money. They allowed us to pay with a payment plan. They were very flexible and nice to us.

Quote:
But it doesn't have to result in death!
And it doesn't have to cost 'thousands'.
If you're not going to fix her, at least pay the office call to have her euthanized. We acted quickly, but Q was in bad shape right before surgery. What a terrible way to go. Don't let your duck go down like that.
sad.png

I think Katharinad's advice of trying to negotiate with the vet or trying to find someone to help with the cost is a good idea. You just never know if you don't ask and it might be a surprise when someone helps you out.

Great News! My duck 'Lulu' is fully recovered!! I did a few different things so im not sure what actually worked...I am happy to report she is back outside swimming in her pool, flapping her wings, walking normal, and quacking as loud as ever
big_smile.png

Oh NO! She's acting strange again!!....It def isn't the penny. Do ducks act like this if they haven't laid an egg in awhile? She's back inside again, and laid TWO eggs this morning...she still cant walk but last time she acted like this and then laid an egg she was better the next day? also, she does not like the duck food and gets into the cat food all the time. is this maybe whats hurting her? poor nutrition? I'll post how she is tomorrow...

Cat food is used for conditioning ducks for shows, so it is not poor condition. The high protein in it, however, forces duck to lay larger eggs, which is stressful for them. The duck is still suffering from metal poisoning and should see a vet. It's just not right to have her linger around like that. Sorry I feel that this kind of abusive to the animal. You would see a doctor, if it was your child. Wouldn't you?

Back
Top Bottom