Duck aspirated medicine!!

Milo_P

Hatching
Jan 5, 2024
Hi so my beloved duck is currently fighting botulism or Newcastle's, the vet said it's newcastle, but his female is completely fine with no symptoms at all, his neck and wings are fine evn his legs move fine, he waddles them when u pick him up but he has no coordination, falls backward if he tries to stand
He was given anti infammatory n B 12 by the vet, unfortunately yesterday while giving him the med he was fighting n I was being rough n in the process he aspirated it cuz he immediately started opening his mouth slight coughs, I gave him water he dunked his whole beak tried to flush it,but it's around 24 hrs now yet he is still breathing through his mouth n slightly coughs when u pick him, he has no other symptoms no sounds while breathing, no raspiness nothing
I tried nebulizing him with saline but no improvements, should I try doing saline plus gentamicine??
I'm really worried for him he's already fighting such a deadly condition n now this, it's bn 8 days now
Plz do help if u have any suggestions about what I should do

Also he's not eating his appetite was already gone due to the disease he was only eating peas,eggs n some cat food n now since he's breathing from his mouth he does drink water a sip at a tim3, 2 3 pieces of cat food n that's it, so I tube fed him earlier, it was a huge risk cuz he was only breathing thru mouth
Do tell me if I should continue with tube feeding bcz obviously he can't survive on cat food

i’m so sorry your duck is battling so many things at one time. i’ve never nebulized so idk about that but i have tube fed and i know that if a duck isn’t eating it will likely die in just a few days so you do need to keep feeding him.
@Miss Lydia and other duck people will likely have more advice for you soon.

I think it would be best to talk with the vet who has seen him. I am not sure on any of the questions. And would not want to tell you something wrong.

@casportpony is knowledgable on this kind of thing but she may not get the tag right away.

i’m so sorry your duck is battling so many things at one time. i’ve never nebulized so idk about that but i have tube fed and i know that if a duck isn’t eating it will likely die in just a few days so you do need to keep feeding him.
@Miss Lydia and other duck people will likely have more advice for you soon.
He's a resilient fellow, its bn 8 days n he keeps on fighting, I don't own a flock it's just him n a female with him, I had someone's 4 ducks for a few months when we had a really huge yard, had a 4 egg incubator decided to hatch duck eggs unfortunately only he hatched, being the only duckling he was hugely imprinted on people, he had nothing to do with the big ducks, you'll always see him following a human, when he got too big to live inside we had to move him outside so got him a female duck a younger one luckily he bonded with her
He's 4 now, I don't know if he's gonna make it but I want to give him the best chance, loosing him would be like loosing one of my cats, also worried abt his girl she can't stand a second without him, she's sort of adjusted to me taking him inside during the night, screams for abt 15 mins then settles but during the day not evn a second

Cortivet, it was only .3ml but not sure how much of it he aspirated
As of now only mouth breathing n occasional coughs no raspiness or sounds in breathing
when resting n relaxed he opens tiny bit of his beak but when he tries to move or u pick him up he opens his beak real wide
Welcome to BYC. What medication did he aspirate?

Back
Top Bottom