Duck aspirated medicine!!

How is he doing this evening @Milo_P
So I did tube feed him again and nebulized with saline and gentamicin, tube feeding went well but not sure if nebulization made any difference bcz he's still breathing from his mouth, not evn sure if he expelled all the liquid he aspirated. Really wondering what's causing the open mouth breathing bcz he has no other symptoms of developing aspiration pneumonia he makes no gurgling sounds, he quakes too it's just gotten a little low pitched.
Tube feeding must be a discomfort for him as ge has to breath with mouth with a tube but we get thru it. When I insert the tube I can see his glottis opening n closing but usually do very little amount per meal like 10 15 mls to be done quickly
I feel like if he gets out of this aspiration thing he might evn make a recovery bcz he's slowly starting to stand leaning on the sides of create.
He is a strong guy, really feel bad seeing him having to breath thru his mouth all day 😕

@Milo_P How is your drake doing?
He's still hanging in there it's bn 4 days since the aspiration episode he still breathes through his mouth, he's neither getting worse nor getting better don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, I've bn nebulizing him with gentamicin for 3 days now since he's not getting worse so maybe it has worked a bit, He doesn't quake at all now but has no wheezing or sounds from chest, I've finally managed to get to an avian vet will talk to him today, the previous one was an Animal hospital
He still doesn't eat only drinks so I've bn tube feeding him twice a day 20-30ml, but I feel like it's not enough bcz I can definitely feel him lighter so I'll make it to thrice a day, Plz do suggest some foods I can add to his feed to help him gain weight, He's a medium sized mallard n yesterday I weighed him n he's only 1.1 kg, he was definitely heavier than average before.
He is still lame tho, Wings neck tail are all fine even his legs work, with his wings n legs he can push himself forward but can't just stand or balance himself when u make him stand
He's bn fighting for almost 2 weeks now just praying he makes it so all this effort pays off 🤞

Back
Top Bottom