Duck attacked

Carip

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2022
My duck was attacked by a mink ( trapped and dead) she managed to get away but has injured back of neck has swelling cleaned with chlorhexidine wash and using vetericyn on wound have been putting in tub to clean and give her some time in water to drink. She has not eaten. In two days any suggestions she is in good spirits and moving around well I geel
The swelling is the issue

My duck was attacked by a mink ( trapped and dead) she managed to get away but has injured back of neck has swelling cleaned with chlorhexidine wash and using vetericyn on wound have been putting in tub to clean and give her some time in water to drink. She has not eaten. In two days any suggestions she is in good spirits and moving around well I geel
If she doesn’t start to eat you may have to start tube feeding
@Miss Lydia maybe able to help with info on that

Have you tried making her feed soupy if she can drink she maybe able to drink her feed?

Tube feeding is a good way to make sure they are getting nutrients but if she is having difficulty holding her head up from swelling that may not be what to do yet. Try making her feed soupy with warm water. Are you giving her anything for pain and inflammation? Do you have any Meloxicam?

You may have a spelling error in your title 😉

Is she holding her neck awkwardly or have any other symptoms? Any bulges in her neck, and if so, where? Is she walking at all oddly or moving her wings oddly? It is possible for the mink to have severely damaged her vertebra, spinal cord, brain stem, trachea, or esophagus, and for her to seem okay for a few days, before it catches up to her. Chickens with a partially broken neck can live for several days and present less injured than they are. If she shows no interest in the food bowl, is not even eyeing it up, that is not a good sign. If it was just swelling, she would likely still be trying to eat or showing interest in the food, even if she can't eat.

So, you may want to prepare yourself that it may be worse than it looks, and may not be something she can heal from. I hope dearly for you and her that its not. ♥️

Last edited:
You did great with the cleaning. Keep a triple antibiotic ointment on it.

I would also try offering a mash. Maybe mix a bit of scrambled egg into it. Is she drinking? That is the most important thing. If she continues to refuse food and/or water, tubing will be needed.

What is your duck's name?

Have you tried making her feed soupy if she can drink she maybe able to drink her feed?

Tube feeding is a good way to make sure they are getting nutrients but if she is having difficulty holding her head up from swelling that may not be what to do yet. Try making her feed soupy with warm water. Are you giving her anything for pain and inflammation? Do you have any Meloxicam?
I attached a picture she can hold her head it’s more where it’s at makes it hard for her to stretch out

Attachments

• DC4FFBF1-0629-4925-8B12-09FB797B14FD.jpeg
    DC4FFBF1-0629-4925-8B12-09FB797B14FD.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom