Duck Breed Focus - Ancona

I am no expert, but those seem to look more like a runner duck breed than Ancona. As I understand it, there can be a tendency for Anconas to present with the runner body type though. So maybe these are some culls? or bred from a line that should be culls if your intention is to have Ancona ducks with proper body type? Again, not an expert...

Quote: Decided to get this breed because they all look different. I can tell them apart.
One of my favorite characteristics are that they come in dilute colors and not just black. I go nuts for dilutes!
Currently we just have 4, but three of them are magpie marked. They are all purebred Anconas, and they came from highly recommended breeders.

We wanted ducks simply for the eggs, and that ducks typically make less noise than chickens. We live in the suburbs, and can't have roosters either. So if I wanted hatching eggs for the fun of it, then ducks were the way to go because drakes don't crow. lol

If we breed to sell, then we will breed properly and to the SOPs to ensure that the breed stays true. I hate it when people mix breeds and then don't say or hide the fact. That happened to me with rabbits, when I was new to breeding them, and it's just not right!

Decided to get this breed because they all look different. I can tell them apart.
One of my favorite characteristics are that they come in dilute colors and not just black. I go nuts for dilutes!
Currently we just have 4, but three of them are magpie marked. They are all purebred Anconas, and they came from highly recommended breeders.

We wanted ducks simply for the eggs, and that ducks typically make less noise than chickens. We live in the suburbs, and can't have roosters either. So if I wanted hatching eggs for the fun of it, then ducks were the way to go because drakes don't crow. lol

If we breed to sell, then we will breed properly and to the SOPs to ensure that the breed stays true. I hate it when people mix breeds and then don't say or hide the fact. That happened to me with rabbits, when I was new to breeding them, and it's just not right!
Welcome to the ancona world!
You do have to be careful of that. There are some known people who breed these with magpies since they are closely related, thinking that's the only way to "widen the gene pool" when there are actually several genetically different lines to begin with. So be careful of that!
Also, there isn't a standard for the breed yet, but Dave Holderread wrote up a suggested one which a lot of use breeders go by :)

So, if I remember correctly, the pencilling can show up in black Anconas? What about blue? I have a blue Ancona drake and I'm noticing some red-ish coloring or pencilling on his chest when the sun hits him just right.

I'll try for a better pic.

So, if I remember correctly, the pencilling can show up in black Anconas? What about blue? I have a blue Ancona drake and I'm noticing some red-ish coloring or pencilling on his chest when the sun hits him just right.

I'll try for a better pic.
Blues typically have rusting. That's what you are seeing on his chest

Back
Top Bottom