Duck Breed Focus - Aylesbury

Who has the breeding flocks in the US? I'm planning on adding exhibition Rouens to my flock next year and after finding out about this breed a couple months ago, I would like to also add Aylesbury's as well.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen!
Here's my trio of exhibition Aylesbury ducks which I bought this Saturday:

They are all hatched in 2015 (last year).
Look at their size! they are about the size of my huge muscovy drake or a smallish goose! Drakes head is the size of a goose head!
The biggest ducks I've ever seen! I'll take a comparison picture between aylesbury drake, white runner drake and a white Campbell drake.
Surprisingly their eggs are quite small (proportionally), smaller than muscovy eggs.
You can actually see a runner on the first picture.

Last edited:

Look at their size! they are about the size of my huge muscovy drake or a smallish goose! Drakes head is the size of a goose head!
The biggest ducks I've ever seen! I'll take a comparison picture between aylesbury drake, white runner drake and a white Campbell drake.
Surprisingly their eggs are quite small (proportionally), smaller than muscovy eggs.
Beautiful! I need some so bad.

I bought them at the rare breeds auction in Melton Mowbray last Saturday.

Do you own Aylesbury ducks? Are you an Aylesbury breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
The Aylesbury duck originates from the early 18th Century from the town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, England where it became a profitable cottage industry supplying the demands of London’s Markets. Originally called ‘White English’ until 1815, they became known as Aylesbury Ducks. The most popular area in Aylesbury (and also one of the poorest), where the ducks were reared became known as ‘Duck End’. The ducks often lived inside the cottages of their owners, which made conditions very unsanitary.
The First World War negatively affected the duck industry in Buckinghamshire, and by the 1950's, there was only one good flock of this breed left. The Second World War further affected the breed and by then, Duck rearing in Aylesbury had almost disappeared completely. During the late 1900's however, the Aylesbury began to gain popularity a bit and with this interest, the breed were further developed and by the 20th century, the Aylesbury had been split into meat and show bird categories.
Larger duck rearing industries started to supply the demand for duck meat and eggs and the Pekin duck that was introduced in 1873 had been bred specifically for eggs and meat, which helped diminish the popularity of the Aylesbury. Today, the Aylesbury breed is on endangered species lists, one of which being the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.
Details:

Purpose: Dual, egg laying and meat
Egg colour: White, tinted, green
Breed colour/variety: White plumage, pink bill, orange feet
Weight: Drake, 11 lbs; Duck 10 lbs

Pic by @chickfinland

Pic by @chickfinland

Pic by @nissa_loves_cats

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/aylesbury

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/263887/aylesbury-ducks/0_30

Do you own Aylesbury ducks? Are you an Aylesbury breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

• We decided on this breed because they're beautiful but also they are HUGE. We are a small farm and we raise mostly for our own benefit, but we depend on animals that are cost-effective. We get a nice amount of meat from them, the meat to carcass ratio is pretty good and they have a great temperament. Also we have only heritage breeds of animals, so it fit in with our farm "ethos".
  • We own them for fun, but we do breed small hatches.
  • I love the incredibly long, low keel and they boxy shape of them from the side when they are standing. You can really see the difference between them and the pekin we use to raise.

Pics:

About a week old

A few weeks old:

Adults:

I am in search of Aylesbury ducks and/or hatching eggs in the United States. Does anyone breed, or know of any breeders who would have either for sale?
Thanks,
Janice

Back
Top Bottom