Aylesbury ducks, True Pekin Ducks, and Long Island ducks- a discussion and "proposal"

HeritageGoose13

Songster
Apr 24, 2015
This thread is intended to be a discussion of three breeds whose histories have historically been very muddled. The purpose of this thread is to compare and contrast the three breeds. Pictures are appreciated, but for the most part I want this to be discussion. This first post will be relatively brief but we can go into further detail. I hope to encourage understanding and responsible breeding of these birds. Now let's begin!

First, we will start off with a history and description of the critically endangered Aylesbury duck, from 19th century England. It is white with a pink bill and very large with a keel. It was prized for its white feathers, which were used in quilts. They were replaced with what I call true pekins- more on that in a bit. Cross-breeding reduced their numbers. Today information is scant. There is next to nothing on this website about them, and their Wikipedia page has only one black-and-white photograph. Here is a nice picture from the Livestock Conservancy:

Now, some info on the pekin, the true/original pekin. They are white with orange bills. Originally from China, these are large, upright birds with a similiar stance to the Indian runner. Sometimes they are fed a high percentage of corn to turn their feathers yellow. This is the breed that replaced the Aylesbury. Sometimes these are called European Pekins because they are popular in Europe. Some pictures from feathersite:

Now you're probably thinking- if those are pekins... what are my ducks? In the 1800s, a man imported some true pekins directly from China and brought them to Long Island. It is widely believed that these birds were bred to Aylesburys. These ducks, which showed traits of both breeds, became known as Long Island ducks, and some people still call them that today. It is their true name, for they are their own breed, neither aylesbury nor pekin. Yet today so many of us own these ducks and call them "pekins." This was originally a mistake- people unfamiliar with Long Island ducks had likely only heard of pekins being white and assumed the birds were pekins. Over time, the name was more or less adopted as official: American Pekin- here a picture from wikipedia.

I propose we begin calling these "pekins" by their rightful name, the Long Island duck. The Long Island breed makes up around 95% of all ducks in United States of America; why should we keep calling it by a name that belongs to a different duck? I realize not everyone will make the name change over night, but over time I think we should begin using the term Long Island to describe the breed. That is my humble personal opinion. This would cut down on confusion and also make people aware of the two different breeds.

Who has experience with these breeds? Is anyone breeding Aylesbury? Does anyone have "true" pekin ducks in the United States or know where some could be found? What do you think now that you know your pekin is not really a pekin at all? Discuss, discuss!
clap.gif

Some useful links:

http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/aylesbury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylesbury_duck

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Pekins/BRKPekin.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pekin_duck

so right here I have a long island duck and not a pekin as I was originally led to believe? I actually really like the long island duck name slightly better it sounds kinda mysterious :) this is very interesting I am eager to hear other points and discussions on this subject

so right here I have a long island duck and not a pekin as I was originally led to believe? I actually really like the long island duck name slightly better it sounds kinda mysterious
smile.png
this is very interesting I am eager to hear other points and discussions on this subject

Yup, looks like it. I'm glad you like the name. I do too. I guess it does sound kind of mysterious!

It may just be the lighting (or my computer screen) but it looks like your duck has a somewhat pink-ish bill. This is kind of a recessive thing in Long Island ducks that pops up rarely and people believe it is there because of their Aylesbury ancestry. Thanks for commenting, I really like hearing what people have to say about this!
thumbsup.gif

yes she does have a pinkish pale beak! as a new baby it was orange and by the first week went pink I thought it was some.kind of deficiency at first but was assured it was normal. I love it she's my unique american islander :) I do have a question what is the difference between the American pekin and the Aylesbury? it seems like.there are more differences between the true pekin and the long island. how can you be sure what you have is actually any pekin at all? I was looking up Aylesbury on instagram and I found a lot of people have or at least think they have this breed and they look very simular to American Pekins..

You're right about how appearance-wise, they look very close.

We know Long Islands aren't just Aylesbury simply because barely anyone is selling Aylesbury. Also if you notice, the Aylesbury has that long fatty area on its breast and belly. Long Islands don't have that.

There may be temperament differences too. I've read that Aylesburys are very shy and timid. Old time farmers would split them up into small groups of three or four, because they "did better that way." I'm not sure what that means exactly; maybe they just seemed happier in small groups. But it seems like Long Islands have no problem in large groups. I know lots of people with them that keep groups of 10, 20 or more and they seem happy as long as they have enough space.

It would really help if someone with Aylesburys would post, but unfortunately they are so rare I think it may be a while.

Just checked one of my books: An Introduction to Heritage Breeds. It says Aylesburys lay white or green eggs BUT they only lay 35-125 eggs a year. Long Islands lay lots of eggs, way more than 35 per year! So Aylesburys were/are a meat or pet bird, but Long Islands can be for meat, eggs or pets.

that's very interesting when my marceline begins to lay I will let you know the color and amount of eggs and we can test this theory. she is a shy duck way more timid than my indian runner but she has no problem with me holding her or petting her once I catch her haha. I hope someone with Aylesbury comments soon I want to hear that point of view badly or even someone with true Pekins would be an interesting twist

There's one small review in the "review- ducks" section of the site, I just commented asking if the person still has them. We'll see!

it seems Aylesbury eggs are mostly sold in the UK I found a girl on instagram with a male and am trying to ask her questions about her duck he is super cute. first question I asked is how does she know he's an Aylesbury and from there I'll be able to.ask about characteristics and personality not egg laying of course but maybe I can get a little helpful info

Back
Top Bottom