Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

You can tell from looking at their rear ends who is laying because it is bigger and sits lower to the ground like there is an egg in it
1f600.png

Hmmm... they're all a little chubby, on account of being spoiled rotten :D but I'm almost positive it's Mirage. She's got an extra chubby bum, and I suspect she's a mallard/grey, which might explain why all the eggs are white. Still no one else is laying yet!

I walked into Tractor Supply and bought the last 2 duckling along with 5 barred rock pullets, 3 california white pullets and 3 cornish rock chicks. One duckling is a pekin but the other is a fawn and white indian runner. It doesnt have its adult feathers yet put it walks upright compared to my pekin and has the darker yellow or light brown on its head. It looks exactly like this duck.

I walked into Tractor Supply and bought the last 2 duckling along with 5 barred rock pullets, 3 california white pullets and 3 cornish rock chicks. One duckling is a pekin but the other is a fawn and white indian runner. It doesnt have its adult feathers yet put it walks upright compared to my pekin and has the darker yellow or light brown on its head. It looks exactly like this duck.
Congrats!

-Kathy

Cool! Chances are with Fawn and White darker head usually results in drake but not always.

I "borrowed" two runners for my daughter's birthday last summer. We soon ended up with 5 ducklings. Unfortunately, our duck vanished one night, no doubt carried away by some sort of predator. I gave away two of the babies, so then we had our original drake, plus 3 ducklings. Our drake became very aggressive toward the male duckling, and one night when it was time to lock them up, I could not find him (the duckling). I haven't seen him since. I have an alternate home for our drake. I really don't want to give him away, but he's such a jerk lately! He's no longer friendly to us, and is mating with his female offspring, even though they aren't mature yet (hatched 11/19 and haven't started laying yet). Is that harmful for the ducks? If I send him away, will they miss him? It seems like he does nothing but pester them, and I really feel like it would be a more peaceful situation if he wasn't there, but then I'm not a duck, so what do I know about how they're thinking. I could give the ducklings away, but our drake gets very lonely when he's by himself.

Here's a picture of them reluctantly wearing the "sweaters" I made them.

We humans need to intervene to protect every member of the flock.

The youngsters need to be separated from the drake. A temporary fence often works well - they can see each other but no one gets hurt.

Like with most of us, hormones play a big part in duck behavior. Understanding that, duck caretakers often need to separate - sometimes just temporarily - to keep everyone healthy and safe.

Ducks will hurt, even kill each other, if left to their own devices under certain circumstances.

I "borrowed" two runners for my daughter's birthday last summer. We soon ended up with 5 ducklings. Unfortunately, our duck vanished one night, no doubt carried away by some sort of predator. I gave away two of the babies, so then we had our original drake, plus 3 ducklings. Our drake became very aggressive toward the male duckling, and one night when it was time to lock them up, I could not find him (the duckling). I haven't seen him since. I have an alternate home for our drake. I really don't want to give him away, but he's such a jerk lately! He's no longer friendly to us, and is mating with his female offspring, even though they aren't mature yet (hatched 11/19 and haven't started laying yet). Is that harmful for the ducks? If I send him away, will they miss him? It seems like he does nothing but pester them, and I really feel like it would be a more peaceful situation if he wasn't there, but then I'm not a duck, so what do I know about how they're thinking. I could give the ducklings away, but our drake gets very lonely when he's by himself.

Here's a picture of them reluctantly wearing the "sweaters" I made them.
Yes, I think it would be good to separate them or get rid of him. The other ducks will not miss him if he leaves because it will make them healthier and happier.

My duck when she has ducklings my drake will not touch a single duckling. My hen becomes alpha when she has babies. Same with my peahens. They become alpha when they have peachicks.

Back
Top Bottom