Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

They are adorable. is your dark one having trouble standing and walking? Don't forget the Brewers yeast or niacin.

The blue one is definitely tippier than the others, but I think they're only a day old, so that might account for some of it. Either way, I've got brewers yeast mixed into their crumbles so they can grow big and strong and spoiled rotten!

The blue one is definitely tippier than the others, but I think they're only a day old, so that might account for some of it. Either way, I've got brewers yeast mixed into their crumbles so they can grow big and strong and spoiled rotten!
thumbsup.gif
Keep those pics and videos coming..

Hi All...I have three runner ducks and wish I had three more. They live along with a Guinea hen on my 4 acre plot. Raised from Rural King as day old's, they are 7 month now. Their day begins as soon as I let them out of their pen they run to the gravel driveway for their grit then there off and running scouring the property for whatever it is they eat. all the while non-stop chattering and if they find something out of order their talking gets louder. They are good layers 1 egg per day each and don't think they can't fly....mine fly 300 ft with good landings. Mine are nervous around me not allowing me to touch or get within 2 feet of them but when I'm outside they are always close by. We have a nice 1/3 acre pond but the ducks won't go in, but they will sweep the edge. So now and then I give them a 5 gallon cement bucket of water...... you'd think I took them to Water World! they will play nonstop for up to an hour. I liken them to "Mischievous Boys" and will investigate anything (real or imagined). I love their energy! I also have a mixed flock of 11 chickens, that I like, but the runners are my favorites. Start with 3 you'll never regret it. Cheers John

Ezri and Impa (the yellow ones) are a bit more feisty than Zoe, but she's eating and drinking really well, so I think she just needs to strengthen up her legs a bit. There's brewers yeast in their food, so that should help! They run around like little crazies, pik-poking at everything they can reach, then conk out in a fluffy pile for nap time.

[Video]

Ezri and Impa (the yellow ones) are a bit more feisty than Zoe, but she's eating and drinking really well, so I think she just needs to strengthen up her legs a bit. There's brewers yeast in their food, so that should help! They run around like little crazies, pik-poking at everything they can reach, then conk out in a fluffy pile for nap time.
They are so precious, don't you love it when they run so fast.

Zoe is looking stronger in this latest video. Glad things are going well for them. Thanks for sharing them!

They seem highly entertaining to me lol

If I did get them, how many do you think I should get? I've heard they're happier with a trio or at least a mate of the same breed? Don't know if that's true or not
I have a mixed flock with 4 runners. The runners really do like to hang together a lot. I think it is just because they are more active and faster than the other ducks. They do interact with the other ducks and I don't think a lone runner in a mixed flock would be unhappy, but I do think they would be happier with a trio or pair as you said.

Runners seem so cute. At first I thought the upright stance was a little weird or creepy but it's pretty cute. Although I've heard they're more skittish? When I get ducks I'm thinking it will probably be Swedish and Welsh Harlequin but maybe one day I'll get Runners. That won't be for a while because we're getting our first chickens the end of this month and I heard ducks are louder, more messy, and more smelly? One day though.
My runners aren't any more skittish than the other ducks, but again they are more active and faster. When they want to come and hang with me, they are perfectly calm, in fact my Fawn and White is one of my more social ducks, but they are more likely to be zipping around the yard after insects, checking out weeds or chattering over some find.

Ducks can quack VERY loud and they are backwards from chickens: the Drakes really can't make much noise. My experience is that they generally don't quack much unless they are making an alert signal to the flock or very excited (like when they first get out in the morning). They do make other noises though and one of them is kind of a clucking sound. Runners can do this clucking sound faster and louder than the other ducks I have (Rouen, Cayuga, WH, Swedish). It is a very happy sound and in my opinion is less annoying than a Rooster crowing, more like if you had a bunch of kids 5-7 years old with a slip and slide whooping and laughing and having fun several times / day every day - not unpleasant, but not quiet either. So if you have close in neighbors who aren't very tolerant of noise this may be a concern.

I have a mixed flock with 4 runners. The runners really do like to hang together a lot. I think it is just because they are more active and faster than the other ducks. They do interact with the other ducks and I don't think a lone runner in a mixed flock would be unhappy, but I do think they would be happier with a trio or pair as you said.

My runners aren't any more skittish than the other ducks, but again they are more active and faster. When they want to come and hang with me, they are perfectly calm, in fact my Fawn and White is one of my more social ducks, but they are more likely to be zipping around the yard after insects, checking out weeds or chattering over some find.

Ducks can quack VERY loud and they are backwards from chickens: the Drakes really can't make much noise. My experience is that they generally don't quack much unless they are making an alert signal to the flock or very excited (like when they first get out in the morning). They do make other noises though and one of them is kind of a clucking sound. Runners can do this clucking sound faster and louder than the other ducks I have (Rouen, Cayuga, WH, Swedish). It is a very happy sound and in my opinion is less annoying than a Rooster crowing, more like if you had a bunch of kids 5-7 years old with a slip and slide whooping and laughing and having fun several times / day every day - not unpleasant, but not quiet either. So if you have close in neighbors who aren't very tolerant of noise this may be a concern.

Your description of their behavior is very interesting. I'm a "just chickens person" so this is all new stuff to me. Thanks for sharing your experience with the runners.

Thanks for the great info! I hadn't thought of them simply being more active, that makes a lot of sense.

I like that analogy too though.:)

I wonder if two drakes would be happy?

I wouldn't mind the noise but we do have close neighbors in the back so maybe I'll wait on ducks

Back
Top Bottom