Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

0.jpg

After this a couple hundred seems reasonable
ep.gif
What do you reckon they do with all those babies?

What do you reckon they do with all those babies? 

My understanding is runners were developed in China. They go out to the rice paddies by day, act as fertilizer and insecticide. Come back home at night, make eggs for eating. Then after a while they make new babies to repeat the cycle, then off to freezer camp...

Not a great "pet" outlook, but very efficient farming use!
* pest control
* fertilizer
* eggs
* meat
And all at almost zero cost to feed.

They are so cute and their colors are really beginning to show now.. They love them peas. 

Their colors are coming out, but in the meantime, Ezri and Impa's face patterns are getting all muddled up, and I can hardly tell them apart anymore! :confused: I feel kinda bad about it.

They're getting a little spoiled with those peas, too! They were peepering super loud yesterday, and I think it's because they were offended we didn't do bath time (the only time they get peas). I'm being as bad about it as I was with koi pellets with the older ones! :barnie Why can't I stop spoiling everyone?! They're all gonna get fat!

Last edited:
Sorry about the onslaught of pics and vids, it's a little harder to get everything uploaded from the real camera versus my phone, so I've got kind of a backlog
hide.gif

0.jpg

Here's the bigguns coming in for the night. Usually I just get to where one of them can see me and say "Come on, ducks!" and they'll all come running, but sometimes they don't even wait that long! They only get treats inside their pen, so they know where to go when I come out with my little treats cup at the end of the day.

0.jpg

And here's the babies at bathtime. Thank you all for excusing my very unattractive bathtub in all of these! I promise I clean it very regularly, but the water around here stains pretty bad
hmm.png
Today we ran out of peas, so we snacked on cabbage (not a huge hit, but they got through most of it eventually), spiralized zucchini, spinach leaves (only because I have waaaaaaaaay too much of it on hand, and between the supplements in their baby food and the fact that they're nowhere near laying age, I figure they'll be okay eating just a couple), and some basil leaves.

You know, I've noticed that Zoe seems to stand on her own feet a lot... When she was littler, I thought maybe they were just too big, but she still does it, and Impa and Ezri don't seem to so much. I wonder if that's why she had so much trouble walking when we first got her? Maybe she's just a little pigeon-toed?

Zoe might be the Loch Ness monster...

Wingalings are getting so big!

The tub is full of zucchini shreds, but the one on Sister's back looks especially delicious...

@AimToMisbehave it was fun seeing the biggers coming in for their nightly treat.

Back
Top Bottom