Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

@Amiga do you have any suggestions?
Well.

I have not had fall ducklings. However, right now I do have Sieben, Hazel and Romy molting up a storm, and little two-pound Rowena, her first autumn into winter with us.

Generally what I do is manage for the least cold-hardy. This late morning (45F, partly sunny, light breeze) I checked on the flock who had been out since 9 ish a.m.

Most of the Runners, and Rowena, seemed fine. Romy was putting on a brave face, but I could tell that the cold was aggravating her turned ankle. And little Sieben, my sweet, sweet Sieben . . . looked up at me, neck scrunched, feathers fluffed out, and just stared.

We all took a little walk, then went into the night pen so my more fragile ones could warm up for a while. We all went out again a couple of hours later. And the Buffs (the trio are in their own flock - long story) stayed outside, because Hazel's molt has just started and the Buffs are more cold-hardy than the Runners.

By the time we came in for the night, Sieben and Romy were starting to act cold again.

Seems to me you might consider a similar approach, but rather than dealing with molters, you are dealing with adolescent ducks.

I must say that their first winter, the Runners were very very slender compared to their full adult body condition starting their second winter. We had more negative effects that first winter. I know Fünf, Acht and Sieben were all quite uncomfortable until I decided to keep them above 35F.

I have found it seems less stressful on everyone to mind the flock dynamics than to separate just the more cold-sensitive ones.

Seems to me you might consider a similar approach, but rather than dealing with molters, you are dealing with adolescent ducks.

I must say that their first winter, the Runners were very very slender compared to their full adult body condition starting their second winter.  We had more negative effects that first winter.  I know Fünf, Acht and Sieben were all quite uncomfortable until I decided to keep them above 35F.

I have found it seems less stressful on everyone to mind the flock dynamics than to separate just the more cold-sensitive ones.  

It'll be everyone's first winter (the bigguns were born July 4th, the littles October 12th) so I'll definitely find a way to get them into their house at night, whether they like it or not! We can usually manage that much eventually. The indoor pen we set up for them in the workshop seems to be a total no-go; they won't even get near it, let alone actually GO IN.

Everyone seems to be getting along so well, I'm tempted to give it a go and let the babies stay with the flock tonight...

Good Luck! No wind helps a lot when the feathers aren't 100% (Heck a big cold wind perturbs ducks with perfect feathers.) And yeah my runners don't like winters much, but validating Amiga's claim, they will tough it out if the other ducks go out. (They have a heat lamp in their house that comes on at 20F and off at 30F) they could stay in if they wanted but they hang with the flock. Actually Mystique and Entie do fairly well - Dove and Noir are more obviously affected. This year we have gotten down to 0F so far, and the only effect has been they go in when the sun starts getting low on the really cold days (about an hour before sunset.) Usually they wait until the last minute.

My runner layed a solid egg last night. Found it this morning. Then this afternoon She layed a rubber feeling egg. It was not solid. Then she layed just yolk and white no shell. What the heck is going on? I'm so worried. I thought only once a day was possible. HELP!!

My runner layed a solid egg last night. Found it this morning. Then this afternoon She layed a rubber feeling egg. It was not solid. Then she layed just yolk and white no shell. What the heck is going on? I'm so worried. I thought only once a day was possible. HELP!!
@pammy g How old is she? sometimes at beginning of laying cycle they can lay wonky eggs and also at end. are you giving oyster shell along with her feed and what feed is she eating? It can be worrying when things like this happen. it takes a good 24 hrs for an egg to go through it's process in the ducks body but sounds like your Runner is getting ahead of the game so give us some more details please.

Update: left the 'lings in with the bigguns overnight, and nobody seems to be missing any feathers or anything! They're all foraging together in one big happy group, and they're so focused on that that no one's over bothering to henpeck the littles! Flock integration success!

Azula is watching over everything so faithfully

Banshee is still mothering over the littles... she's a total natural, I hope this means I have at least one broody hen!!! Impa seemed so proud of that leaf. (Sorry about picture quality, these were taken with my phone from my bedroom window :D )

Still kinda figuring out how gates and fences work...

Last edited:
Update: left the 'lings in with the bigguns overnight, and nobody seems to be missing any feathers or anything! They're all foraging together in one big happy group, and they're so focused on that that no one's over bothering to henpeck the littles! Flock integration success!

Azula is watching over everything so faithfully

Banshee is still mothering over the littles... she's a total natural, I hope this means I have at least one broody hen!!! Impa seemed so proud of that leaf. (Sorry about picture quality, these were taken with my phone from my bedroom window
big_smile.png
)

Still kinda figuring out how gates and fences work...
Great news, always happy to hear of a great flock merge.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom