Duck Breed Focus - Indian Runner

If they are perfectly formed, standard sized eggs then it would be safe to assume that it is not your 4 month olds.  I would expect to see atleast a week of smaller, odd shaped eggs before standard eggs are laid.

I just got a scale today; the first egg was 64g, then all the rest since have been 69-72g. They've all been perfectly egg-shaped. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of my older girls, Mirage, might be a mallard-pattern, though. Could it be her?

My husband thinks it's our blue and white one, Weyoun:

Although, I suppose given that all my older ones (7 months old tomorrow!) came from a local backyard hatchery, they might just not be 100% Runners... so color-coding might not be as helpful as I'd hoped.

That is really cool. I have runners but they've never flown. Thanks for sharing the video.

That is really cool. I have runners but they've never flown. Thanks for sharing the video.
I've learned that with a lot of patients and good teaching almost any duck can learn to fly a little ways. That same runner has now flown over 1/4 of a mile and so have one of our Buffs and Khaki campbells.

So, I am now getting two duck eggs every morning. I only have two runner ducks so that means they are for sure both girls, right? Then why are they trying to mate with each other?? It's making me crazy. Is this normal if they don't have a drake??

Back
Top Bottom