Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Pics
Help! I'm trying to decide whether to get Magpies or WHs! Which do ya'll think I should get?

P.S. @Tevyes Dad I love your new Avatar!

Are you planning on breeding? Do you have a specific purpose for them? If not, I would say just get both. I have only WH now but I really want to add some different breeds later. Magpies are on my list.

Are you planning on breeding? Do you have a specific purpose for them? If not, I would say just get both. I have only WH now but I really want to add some different breeds later. Magpies are on my list.
I agree 100%

Tony's philosophy (I only fit in the last category so take with a grain of salt.)

If you are breeding for meat - Pekin or Muscovy.

If want eggs to sell at maximum efficiency - Khaki Campbell or one of the special Hybrids.

If you want eggs to blow the minds of your chicken owning friends - Pekin.

If you want to breed to sell - select what works well in your area. <soap box>Learn to sex them and be prepared to process a lot of drakes into yummy meals. More drakes end up at ponds because some unsuspecting person gets straight run ducks and ends up with a bad situation 6mo - 1yr later and doesn't know what else to do with them. Feed stores do enough of this. No one who is not prepared to send ducks to freezer camp should end up with three drakes and a duck.</soap box>

If you want a house duck - Call. (less poop)

If you want eggs and pets and to "know" your ducks - Mixed flock - it is possible to do it with leg bands, but why work so hard
big_smile.png
and if they aren't as productive with the eggs as you would like... Duck Math!

Help! I'm trying to decide whether to get Magpies or WHs! Which do ya'll think I should get?

P.S. @Tevyes Dad I love your new Avatar!

Was the first thing I saw today. My alarm went off shortly after the door opens, I peeked at the camera and saw Tevye skipping across the ground - - - May not be too sharp, but that has got to be my avatar for a while
gig.gif

Last edited:
Was the first thing I saw today. My alarm went off shortly after the door opens, I peeked at the camera and saw Tevye skipping across the ground - - - May not be too sharp, but that has got to be my avatar for a while
gig.gif

too cute! 70 here today
sad.png

I had 10 eggs in the incubator. All set same day. Two of my Swedish/KC hatched today day 26. 8 of the remaining are WH. They aren't doing a thing. No rocking or peeping. Should I be concerned this early?

Help! I'm trying to decide whether to get Magpies or WHs! Which do ya'll think I should get? 

P.S. @Tevyes Dad
 I love your new Avatar!

I will be showing them in 4-h. I would like to breed them but really want to get some calls and Perkins or something
1f600.png
I can only have 15 ducks. I would also like to breed the calls but I don't know if that will happen. An incubator is on my Christmas list so hopefully I get one!!!!

I will be showing them in 4-h. I would like to breed them but really want to get some calls and Perkins or something
1f600.png
I can only have 15 ducks. I would also like to breed the calls but I don't know if that will happen. An incubator is on my Christmas list so hopefully I get one!!!!

I don't know anything about showing but I do know that it is much harder to get good markings on Magpies. So that's something to keep in mind.
You can definitely have a mixed flock but any drake will breed with any duck. If you want purebred offspring you would have to separate them. Would probably be good anyway since an 8 lb drake breeding a tiny call duck could be bad. Though you would probably want to ask those with experience with calls.

1f600.png
Quote:
I don't know anything about showing but I do know that it is much harder to get good markings on Magpies. So that's something to keep in mind.
You can definitely have a mixed flock but any drake will breed with any duck. If you want purebred offspring you would have to separate them. Would probably be good anyway since an 8 lb drake breeding a tiny call duck could be bad. Though you would probably want to ask those with experience with calls.
You would most definitely need to keep the calls separated.

1f600.png

Quote:

You would most definitely need to keep the calls separated. 
Yep I was already planning on that. All the breeds will be penned separately
1f61c.png

Back
Top Bottom