Khaki vs Welsh for dual purpose meat?

uusparrowuu

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2022
My duck flock has both khaki campbells and welsh harlequins (and a single pekin hen). This winter I’m looking to downsize to just one or the other breed (plus the pekin, she stays no matter what).

Both breeds are listed as dual purpose. Which breed would be better for meat in the spring? I couldn’t find much information besides the WH being easy to pluck. But easy to pluck compared to what? Which of these two breeds would have a little more meat? I understand both are relatively small compared to my lovely large pekin, and I will incubate her eggs in the spring as well but of the two drakes (one khaki one Welsh) which would be best?

At this time, I don’t have the space or willingness to get a totally new breed. After all, I’m trying to downsize. All I have to go off right now is that the Welsh drake is larger than the Khaki drake, and both breeds have been laying about the same. In the (far) future I’d want silver appleyards bits at least 5 years away.

The Welsh drake is speculated to have been crossed at some point with a silver appleyard due to his unusually baby blue bill.

My duck flock has both khaki campbells and welsh harlequins (and a single pekin hen). This winter I’m looking to downsize to just one or the other breed (plus the pekin, she stays no matter what).

Both breeds are listed as dual purpose. Which breed would be better for meat in the spring? I couldn’t find much information besides the WH being easy to pluck. But easy to pluck compared to what? Which of these two breeds would have a little more meat? I understand both are relatively small compared to my lovely large pekin, and I will incubate her eggs in the spring as well but of the two drakes (one khaki one Welsh) which would be best?

At this time, I don’t have the space or willingness to get a totally new breed. After all, I’m trying to downsize. All I have to go off right now is that the Welsh drake is larger than the Khaki drake, and both breeds have been laying about the same. In the (far) future I’d want silver appleyards bits at least 5 years away.

The Welsh drake is speculated to have been crossed at some point with a silver appleyard due to his unusually baby blue bill.
For meat ducks go with the Welsh since your Drake is bigger especially if he might have the silver appleyard lines. If you don't already I would highly recommend a scalder and plucker. As far as plucking I've plucked many duck breeds and all were just as annoying to pluck as any other with those dang pin feathers.

Only weighing in (no pun intended) because I have had 3 welsh as pets. They're tiny! Females don't weigh much above 4-5 pounds, and I just can't imagine getting that much meat from them, compared to so many other breeds. But maybe some people have larger welsh than I do?

Only weighing in (no pun intended) because I have had 3 welsh as pets. They're tiny! Females don't weigh much above 4-5 pounds, and I just can't imagine getting that much meat from them, compared to so many other breeds. But maybe some people have larger welsh than I do?
Mine are small as well. 2 of mine are the same size as my khaki and the other is even smaller than my khaki!

Might be regional. My khakis are slightly smaller than the welsh, or about the same size.

Either way, I’m mainly making dog food, and occasionally roasting two whole birds at a time to feed a family of 4, or 4 breasts to a pot pie and bones/organs to the grinder, for example. More for every day type eating instead of a special occasion type roast. We’re not allowed a rooster in our area, otherwise we’d relay more on chicken. Rabbits are similar.

Back
Top Bottom