Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Pics
Newbie looking to purchase 1 drake and 2 WH ducks from Metzer for primarily pet/therapy animal purposes....eggs a bonus for sure, definitely will not be hatching anytime soon. Am I picking the right breed here? I'm looking for quiet, calm, able tone socialized for light handling, low stress companionship (reading to them, petting, sitting near) for a special needs population. Other breed I've looked into is Cayuga. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sarah

Newbie looking to purchase 1 drake and 2 WH ducks from Metzer for primarily pet/therapy animal purposes....eggs a bonus for sure, definitely will not be hatching anytime soon. Am I picking the right breed here? I'm looking for quiet, calm, able tone socialized for light handling, low stress companionship (reading to them, petting, sitting near) for a special needs population. Other breed I've looked into is Cayuga. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sarah

2 ducks might not be enough for 1 drake, I think the ratio is about 3-5 ducks per drake. If you just want them for pets/eggs then it might be better to just get 3 ducks, plus then you would get more eggs
smile.png
. I haven't had any breeds other than WH, so can't compare them, but mine are relatively quiet with occasional "bursts" of quacking. Mine are also super friendly and don't mind being picked up, and a couple will even climb on my lap when I sit down (of course if I have food they will all climb on my lap
lol.png
). Food is the best way to get them used to being handled, they will do ANYTHING for food
wink.png

Also welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Sarah

I have most of Metzer's inventory (no hybrids, no Jumbo, no Mallards). My WH is definitely the mellowest. My ducks live in the yard with several hours of socialization / week plus of course we are there for all the chores. So they are more socialized than ducks that are just taken care of, but less socialized than house ducks or smaller flocks with a higher individual focus. My WH is calm when being held. I can step over the top of her when she is lying down and she won't bat an eye. When she is getting treats I can stroke her chest or back without holding her and she won't avoid it. She is also the softest duck (with the possible exception of Tevye) that I have. All ducks can make a racket, but most of them don't unless they are excited (good or bad) or trying to tell you something. For pet/therapy from my experience (lots of breeds but not lots of individuals of each breed) WH or Pekin would be my choice. (Pekins are more opinionated and less "mellow", but they are very smart, inquisitive and interactive so depending on who it was for, I would choose between those two.) That having been said, I think any duck brought up in a social and positive environment could fill the bill.
wink.png

I have most of Metzer's inventory (no hybrids, no Jumbo, no Mallards). My WH is definitely the mellowest. My ducks live in the yard with several hours of socialization / week plus of course we are there for all the chores. So they are more socialized than ducks that are just taken care of, but less socialized than house ducks or smaller flocks with a higher individual focus. My WH is calm when being held. I can step over the top of her when she is lying down and she won't bat an eye. When she is getting treats I can stroke her chest or back without holding her and she won't avoid it. She is also the softest duck (with the possible exception of Tevye) that I have. All ducks can make a racket, but most of them don't unless they are excited (good or bad) or trying to tell you something. For pet/therapy from my experience (lots of breeds but not lots of individuals of each breed) WH or Pekin would be my choice. (Pekins are more opinionated and less "mellow", but they are very smart, inquisitive and interactive so depending on who it was for, I would choose between those two.) That having been said, I think any duck brought up in a social and positive environment could fill the bill.
wink.png
I agree and vote Welsh Harlequin. If eggs are a bonus for you, you cant beat their laying. Mine rarely skip a day. They are also smaller and more manageable. If size is a factor you might also consider the are also the cute little call ducks. I have little experience with them other than knowing they are cute as a button

I've just hatched 3 Welsh harlequin ducklings! They are so beautiful! I chose them because of all the good things I read both in terms of temperament and egg laying, although I can't be sure of sex yet. Mine are just pets for our back garden. X

I've just hatched 3 Welsh harlequin ducklings! They are so beautiful! I chose them because of all the good things I read both in terms of temperament and egg laying, although I can't be sure of sex yet. Mine are just pets for our back garden. X
welcome-byc.gif
and congratulations!

I think the one in the middle is a drake and the other two are ducks. But I am not sure. Tell me if I'm right when they start quacking
big_smile.png

WOW, How in the world can you tell at such a young age?

Supposedly for the first two days (so only Hatchers will know) boys have dark bills and girls have light bills with dark tips. By day 3 you can't tell.

Edit: Darn for April fools I should have said I could see his equipment from the photo. :gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom