Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Pics
Good afternoon.
Just found this thread but did not have time to read through all the pages.
My DD is looking to work with WHs. She saw that they were listed as critical on the Metzer's site and chose them over the other breeds she was considering.
I was wondering if there was a reputable breeder in WA, anywhere in the radius from the OLY/TAC all the way to the Longview/ Vancouver areas.
We do know of Holderread's and will try them if we can't find a breeder a bit closer than they are.
She was hoping to start with at least 6 ducklings or a confirmed breeding trio or quad.
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give us.
Enjoy the day, Broody.

Good afternoon.
Just found this thread but did not have time to read through all the pages.
My DD is looking to work with WHs. She saw that they were listed as critical on the Metzer's site and chose them over the other breeds she was considering.
I was wondering if there was a reputable breeder in WA, anywhere in the radius from the OLY/TAC all the way to the Longview/ Vancouver areas.
We do know of Holderread's and will try them if we can't find a breeder a bit closer than they are.
She was hoping to start with at least 6 ducklings or a confirmed breeding trio or quad.
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give us.
Enjoy the day, Broody.
Be sure to post in the 'where am I where are you thread' for WA. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/717207/washingtonians-come-together-washington-peeps

Yeah, it's the same with human ultrasounds. I hear that when they get the wrong gender it tends to be with girls. So if you're told you're having a boy, then it's a boy, but if your told it's a girl there's a small possibly it could be a boy that's "shy". I guess any method that try's to predict in advance can never be 100%.

I have read according to Dave Holderead, this method is 90% accurate. You got the sneaky 10%. I hope it wasn't a disastrous outcome. I would have certainly called female from that pic. It is still worth while though. If you are right even with the odds and ignore the bill, and you get 10 WH, you end up with 5 boys, 5 girls (probably not a good idea) - if you sex by bill you get 1 boy, 9 girls (10% loss in eggs, but a nice little flock). This is probably as good or better than vent sexing by someone without experience. (All identified boys are boys, but some identified girls are shy boys.
wink.png
)
Yes, that makes sense. It was a bit 'disastrous' on the egg-laying front, as we only have 2 ducks and had really hoped that they were both girls so that they could 'earn their keep' with a couple of eggs (hopefully!) a day between them. But we adore Zachary who is so calm and tolerant, and he helps to tone down the highly strung nature of his magpie duck sister! You make a very good point about the tipping the odds in our favour with beak selection, and if we purchase more ducklings in the future, I'll definitely give that a go again!

Lovely pictures! Yes I've also read only 90% accurate - naughty little Zachary. He looks just like my two "girls" when they first hatched. I've called mine Jemima and rebeccah after the 2 ducks in Beatrix potters story of Jemima puddle duck. Although I realise I may well have a Jeremy and Richard instead haha
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
Yes, naughty little Zachary alright! Luckily he is such a gorgeous little man - very calm and tolerant, and a 'super-duck' when it comes to finding bugs, crickets and worms etc! I love the names Jemima and Rebeccah! Zachary Quack's sister Tallulah was almost called Jemima Puddleduck! Fingers crossed that you can continue to use the names into the future...!

Yes, naughty little Zachary alright!  Luckily he is such a gorgeous little man - very calm and tolerant, and a 'super-duck' when it comes to finding bugs, crickets and worms etc!  I love the names Jemima and Rebeccah!  Zachary Quack's sister Tallulah was almost called Jemima Puddleduck!  Fingers crossed that you can continue to use the names into the future...!

That's funny, because Douglas, who I am pretty sure is a boy is much calmer than the other two! May just be a coincedence but something that's very noticeable with my 3. Will update you soon! X

Yes, naughty little Zachary alright!  Luckily he is such a gorgeous little man - very calm and tolerant, and a 'super-duck' when it comes to finding bugs, crickets and worms etc!  I love the names Jemima and Rebeccah!  Zachary Quack's sister Tallulah was almost called Jemima Puddleduck!  Fingers crossed that you can continue to use the names into the future...!

Hello - a little update from us here in the UK. My babies are now 4 weeks old. The 2 that we thought were girls have started with their whoopie cushion sounds and not-so-little-anymore Douglas (who I was sure was a boy) is still peeping / not showing a real change in vocal range. So I think we may have been right. Fingers crossed that the farty/coughing noises develop into lady quacks :) xx

Does anyone know if Welsh harlequins fly and whether I will need to clip their wings? I've read they don't but mine like a good old run up the garden whilst they flap! Worried they will take off!

Back
Top Bottom