Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

I am planning on getting some Welsh Harlequins at the beginning of March for my backyard. I don't want a big flock, probably about five ducks in total. I'm torn between getting all females or mostly females and one male. Does anyone have any advice? Will I have to worry about accumulating an insane amount of ducklings if I get a male?
thanks!
If you don't need to breed I'd say get just hens. You won't have to deal with any drake drama. You won't get ducklings unless you let them brood. All 3 of mine tried to go broody this year on unfertilized eggs.

I am planning on getting some Welsh Harlequins at the beginning of March for my backyard. I don't want a big flock, probably about five ducks in total. I'm torn between getting all females or mostly females and one male. Does anyone have any advice? Will I have to worry about accumulating an insane amount of ducklings if I get a male?
thanks!
I dont really see any situation in which you will find yourself overrun with ducklings. If you dont think you will want any ducklings then there is no reason to have a drake. If think you may want ducklings at some point all you have to do is collect the eggs until then. When you are ready for ducklings you can wait for a hen to go broody and let her set on them for 28 days, or you can use an incubator at anytime.
They are very good layers so think of how many eggs you can use and plan accordingly. You may want to start off with a drake and two- three ducks then add a few hens every couple years to cycle in younger hens and renew the flock as you faze out older hens. That way you can keep your flock small and productive over the long run and you get to have cute little ducklings.

Last edited:
Very good advice from @windyridgefarm . If you do decide to start hatching your own eggs make sure you have a plan for extra drakes. Plan for at least half the eggs you hatch to be males. It probably wouldn't be hard to sell extra hens but it will be harder with drakes. Unless you don't have a problem with them becoming dinner for you or someone else. Just something to keep in mind as you make your decision.

Yes, I'm facing the drake issue. 5 of my 8 chick's turned boyish, including one I was sure would be a duck. They all have names so roast duck is not an option for me.I may just give 3 drakes away if I can find a kind soul who wants them.

Yes, I'm facing the drake issue. 5 of my 8 chick's turned boyish, including one I was sure would be a duck. They all have names so roast duck is not an option for me.I may just give 3 drakes away if I can find a kind soul who wants them.
Wow! That's why I don't breed ducks. Other than calls, most people want more than 1 or 2 ducks so drakes are difficult to re-home (also most people don't eat call duck eggs so non-breeders are happier to have an all drake flock). So if you want to breed ducks, you need to have more of the farmer mentality than the pet owner mentality. That way you can name your drakes: a l'Orange, Cherry-Rosemary, Apple-Pomegranate, Cacciatore, Rotisserie, Gumbo and Stew. I personally can't do it so even though I have lots of fertile eggs, none will ever hatch.

Yeah, I hear you. I have always liked to eat duck. But I can't eat my own.
I have raised them from day 3 and they are part of the family. They are not yet at POL so there hasn't been any abusive behaviour. But I'm watching for it. We'll see.

Yeah, I hear you. I have always liked to eat duck. But I can't eat my own.
I have raised them from day 3 and they are part of the family. They are not yet at POL so there hasn't been any abusive behaviour. But I'm watching for it. We'll see.
Good luck. I have my one problem boy (and one who is no problem at all). I couldn't handle any more. I hope all your drakes are like Tevye and none are like Kaine.

I think that these ducks are gorgeous. I've been thinking of adding some myself. Never had ducks and was thinking of getting a pair of these and then all females of a few other breeds. But I might get all females and no drake. I guess it depends on how the males are? Are they aggressive to humans or other ducks at all? The flock would probably be 4-6 ducks, maybe more or less, with only 1 male

I think that these ducks are gorgeous. I've been thinking of adding some myself. Never had ducks and was thinking of getting a pair of these and then all females of a few other breeds. But I might get all females and no drake. I guess it depends on how the males are? Are they aggressive to humans or other ducks at all? The flock would probably be 4-6 ducks, maybe more or less, with only 1 male
One drake should be fine if you really want him. If you are thinking of breeding the WH, you will end up with more drakes to either cull/rehome so ask yourself if you can do that. If you aren't thinking of breeding the WH, then just ask yourself why you really want him. If you have a good solid reason, then one drake should be fine. If not, zero is even better.

Back
Top Bottom