duck egg turning blue. . . .under broody duck

Jersey, yes, that is basically the theory. Or mould. Basically, it may be rotting. But hopefully not!!
smile.png

You can definitely move her when the ducklings have hatched. Till then do what you can to prevent other birds getting to the nest.
Make sure you use shallow water containers that ducklings can easily get out of if they happen to get in. Once a day give your mother duck a deeper container so she can wash her face, but do this under supervision. Ducklings can jump into containers and then drown - it's happened often.
You can put chicken and duck eggs in the incubator together though they normally they will need different conditions, mainly because they are at very different stages of incubation. The chicken eggs will need to be turned at least 3 times a day but don't turn the duck eggs at all (if you think they are close to the last 3 days of incubation). Put the humidity up to 70% to suit the duck eggs. After they are out of the incubator put it down again for the chicken eggs to what you'd normally use.
You're doing great!!!
smile.png
t

Thanks for all the information. I think I will keep them in separate incubators if it comes to that. Duck eggs don't get turned? I'm sure out ducky knew that.
I will think about the set up for when the ducklings are here. I never had a full grown duck and ducklings. Another challenge---it is so worth it.
I didn't get to see in the nest today. She only made a quick dash out & sat tight all day.
I put a fan on her as I am afraid she must be miserable and hot. It's been really hot here with a heat index over 100 every day. She is in a coop (luckily shaded) and then inside a cat litter box (I put it there to see if my chickens would like it but she took it over).

BTW my daughter's boyfriend is from Australia, not sure right now what area, but he moved here when he was 16 because his father was doing some research (science).

Duck eggs don't get turned? I'm sure out ducky knew that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear :) I only said not to turn them because if you end up with any in the incubator they will be the ones that have not yet hatched but are close to hatching - and you don't turn eggs in the last 3 days. So that's why I said not to turn them ;) Normally, they would get turned three times a day (at least). Duck eggs do better lying on their sides, so it's good if you can set them in the incubator that way.

I'm sure your daughter's boyfriend enjoys living in the US :) I've visited a couple of times and am keen to go back for another visit at some stage.

Sorry, I wasn't clear :) I only said not to turn them because if you end up with any in the incubator they will be the ones that have not yet hatched but are close to hatching - and you don't turn eggs in the last 3 days. So that's why I said not to turn them ;) Normally, they would get turned three times a day (at least). Duck eggs do better lying on their sides, so it's good if you can set them in the incubator that way.

Okay, I understand now. As for being on their side you would think that to be true of all eggs since they are on their sides in the nest????
I am waiting for her to come off the nest today. She is quite happy sitting on her eggs. I feel like I'm gonna pop waiting. I am trying so hard to leave her alone. I have been looking from the house (I may miss her & just think she isn't going out).
I sent a message to someone on this site who has eggs hatching around the same time we are due. If no eggs hatch I may buy two ducklings. I really hate her being a lone duck---and she hates being alone. Not sure if she'd accept the babies or not.

that bluish egg is rotten i broke one open once and came out yellow-green vomit color with blood spots

Last edited:
With the smelling bad thing - an egg may not smell bad but may still be going bad inside. It's just that if it actually smells bad then that's a clear indication of the need to remove it ASAP, whereas if it doesn't smell then there is probably no immediate danger of explosion :) I do agree though that you should remove that egg. Sometimes bad eggs start weeping liquid from the shell and then they will really smell shocking and need to be removed swiftly and immediately.

The patience needed is torture, isn't it? You're doing well though!! :)

no only after i opened it. i think its is when the duckling die in the egg at 2-3 weeks it turns blue

Last edited:
no only after i opened it. i think its is when the duckling die in the egg at 2-3 weeks it turns blue

Thanks, Mike. I guess I just don't want to believe it. I will try and get a better look tomorrow. If no ducklings hatch I'm gonna have one sad duck on my hands.
I better get it out before it ruins the other eggs. I have heard of eggs breaking in the nest and it doesn't sound very good at all.

Back
Top Bottom