duck egg turning blue. . . .under broody duck

This my egg that is turning blue. It is hard to see inside. I am not sure it has an air sack. There are a total of five eggs, four looked good (like the previous photo) so I hope to have at least four ducklings.

This my egg that is turning blue. It is hard to see inside. I am not sure it has an air sack. There are a total of five eggs, four looked good (like the previous photo) so I hope to have at least four ducklings.

This is the nest of five eggs. The four, without the blue, all had an air sack. I am so excited.
The father is a pekin, and the mothers can either be a pekin, Khaki Campbell, or Muscovy.
Can't wait to see the ducklings.
I guess I will keep smelling the blue egg to be sure it isn't bad. I really hope it's okay.

The blue egg looks like it has an air cell, though a small one. It doesn't look good to me, I'm afraid. I'd would say that the embryo has died at some point. Personally, I'd remove that egg because it doesn't look normal. Or you could try the float test - float it in a glass of warm water and look for movement and vibrations of the egg, which would mean that there is a live duckling in there.

The others look good!

The blue egg looks like it has an air cell, though a small one. It doesn't look good to me, I'm afraid. I'd would say that the embryo has died at some point. Personally, I'd remove that egg because it doesn't look normal. Or you could try the float test - float it in a glass of warm water and look for movement and vibrations of the egg, which would mean that there is a live duckling in there.
The others look good!

Thanks, I had not heard of the float test. I will try that. Sad to think it died in the egg. I will still be very happy if the other four make it.
How warm should the water be? I know she keeps the eggs pretty toasty, I don't want to shock it if it's still good.
Do they react to the water, or the temp? This is very interesting.

I googled it and actually found a video showing the eggs move in the water. I will try this tomorrow. One site said 105 another 100 degrees for water temp. I really do learn something new each day.

That's good that you found a video. I'd go for a temp that's a bit less than incubating temperature, so go for something around 98 degrees. Better than making the water too warm. I hope you see some movement.

Okay, I did the float test:

-
This is the blue egg

this is one of the four "good" eggs

I didn't leave them there for very long. They both seemed to bob a little. I was worried about bothering with the eggs so much the mother would get too upset. They both float, they both move (sort of) and I am still not sure.
I think at this point in time I will just wait it out. I really did this just because I had never heard of it. The video I saw on the internet had much more movement than I got. Mine was just some slight bobbing. Now I am worried I won't get any ducklings.
Oh well, what will be will be. . . . .

Back
Top Bottom