Duck eggs...no hearts?

A BLESSING IN DISGUISE!!! The other night I heard my two ducks, Romeo and Juliet, quacking really loudly. I looked to go see what it was. Our ducks are like dogs, they quack when the dogs barks, they lay on the dogs' beds, eat they're food and come into the house. I thought maybe there was a dog. I couldn't see Romeo but I could hear him. I followed the sound and saw that he flew into other peoples yard, luckily they were not there so I went and got him. That night I put them in they're pen for the first time in many nights. She had laid there before but after I took the eggs a dog came and messed up the nest. So today when I went inside the pen I saw the nest in it's normal shape again. And when I looked inside there were two little eggies!!
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
Unfortunately I couldn't stop myself from taking them but I promised to myself that the rest is hers. Can anyone tell me the right temperatures and humidity level? Thanks.

A BLESSING IN DISGUISE!!! The other night I heard my two ducks, Romeo and Juliet, quacking really loudly. I looked to go see what it was. Our ducks are like dogs, they quack when the dogs barks, they lay on the dogs' beds, eat they're food and come into the house. I thought maybe there was a dog. I couldn't see Romeo but I could hear him. I followed the sound and saw that he flew into other peoples yard, luckily they were not there so I went and got him. That night I put them in they're pen for the first time in many nights. She had laid there before but after I took the eggs a dog came and messed up the nest. So today when I went inside the pen I saw the nest in it's normal shape again. And when I looked inside there were two little eggies!!
droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
Unfortunately I couldn't stop myself from taking them but I promised to myself that the rest is hers. Can anyone tell me the right temperatures and humidity level? Thanks.

droolin.gif
celebrate.gif
Good for you I hope you get some babies this time, this link is in the duck stickies even though it says goose on it but temps are the same for both breeds and Pete knows what he's talking about... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Thanks! I put on my incubator and put it on 37.5*C but it was still over 40. It was so high it could get any higher on my temp. meter. So I painfully put the eggs back. She has laid 2 more eggs since. Quick question: Is the babies suppose to grow even if she doesn't lay on them yet? At day 2 I checked but there was nothing... I geuss it's too soon.
fl.gif

We ended up with 15 eggs...
big_smile.png
It's 22 days since she started laying on them. Every now and then I grab one while she's out and candle it. They're doing really well!
celebrate.gif
So now I need one last thing...I want to take 2 or 3 and try to raise them. any tips on taking care of duckling?

We ended up with 15 eggs...
big_smile.png
It's 22 days since she started laying on them. Every now and then I grab one while she's out and candle it. They're doing really well!
celebrate.gif
So now I need one last thing...I want to take 2 or 3 and try to raise them. any tips on taking care of duckling?
Great news, I know your excited.. here is a link to caring for ducklings.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 you will need to take the 2-3 you want to raise right as they hatch[well let them fluff up first] because they need to imprint on you not the mama duck. keep us updated..

Last edited:
Thanks
smile.png
14 eggs hatched and they were so cute following mama duck! I decided it's best for her to raise them since I didn't yet have the right equipment... When they were 2 days old they decided they'd try following their dad out into the yard... (We kept the ducklings in with their mom so the dogs wouldn't get hold of them) They found a hole to get to the other side where they're dad is...and the dogs...We have dachshunds and every small animal they see they rip apart.
hmm.png
So they see these little duckies. Mama duck watched helplessly as her ducklings die one by one.
hit.gif
Apparently she was going frantic when this happened because she was closed in the pen. Unfortunately we weren't there when this happened and couldn't save all of them. Seven had survived and I was forced to take them in until the pen gets fixed. We gave them warmth and everything they needed, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. One morning we found that 3 more had died. So there were 4...One looked as if he would soon die to, and he did. The remaining 3 we put back with their mother. When we found her kind off pecking at them we took them back. We then went to the mall to buy the proper equipment as we didn't have time to do this yet. When we came back one more had died.
th.gif
Two are left from the fourteen... Today they are a week old and doing well. One of them looks a little bit more calm than the other. Is this normal?

Thanks
smile.png
14 eggs hatched and they were so cute following mama duck! I decided it's best for her to raise them since I didn't yet have the right equipment... When they were 2 days old they decided they'd try following their dad out into the yard... (We kept the ducklings in with their mom so the dogs wouldn't get hold of them) They found a hole to get to the other side where they're dad is...and the dogs...We have dachshunds and every small animal they see they rip apart.
hmm.png
So they see these little duckies. Mama duck watched helplessly as her ducklings die one by one.
hit.gif
Apparently she was going frantic when this happened because she was closed in the pen. Unfortunately we weren't there when this happened and couldn't save all of them. Seven had survived and I was forced to take them in until the pen gets fixed. We gave them warmth and everything they needed, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. One morning we found that 3 more had died. So there were 4...One looked as if he would soon die to, and he did. The remaining 3 we put back with their mother. When we found her kind off pecking at them we took them back. We then went to the mall to buy the proper equipment as we didn't have time to do this yet. When we came back one more had died.
th.gif
Two are left from the fourteen... Today they are a week old and doing well. One of them looks a little bit more calm than the other. Is this normal?
Oh my goodness how sad for you, so sorry for the loss but so thankful 2 were able to make it through the ordeal. Yes some ducklings just seem to be wired a little higher strung than others, if it seems healthy eating and other wise running around like normal ducklings do then probably okay. you might try adding some poultry vitamins in their water a couple times a week it is good for their systems including nervous systems. Also might want to consider adding some niacin or Brewers yeast to their diet till 10-12 weeks old really helps with any leg or neurological problems that could arise if not able to feed anything but chick feed. I lost 1 duckling to one of my dachshunds last year. Believe me I know how you felt.

Thanks.
wink.png
One more thing thought, they both seem to eat and drink well but they're sneezing? Farther on they look pretty healthy...I've heard from other duck owners that ducklings do sneeze, is it true?
idunno.gif

Thanks.
wink.png
One more thing thought, they both seem to eat and drink well but they're sneezing? Farther on they look pretty healthy...I've heard from other duck owners that ducklings do sneeze, is it true?
idunno.gif

Bedding and even feed can be dusty so very important they have a bowl of some kind they can dunk their heads into to wash out their eyes and nares to keep from getting clogged up. a plastic cool whip bowl with a hole cut out of the top so they can't climb into it or splash it all out works great. Would love to see some pics?
pop.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer/10

Back
Top Bottom