Duck eggs turning black? HELP! (pic)

Thank you for the help..and sooo sad!!! I think my humidity in my incubator got too high
sad.png
Unfortunately I didn't catch it in time, but want to learn so it won't happen next time! I did mist and directed from the person I received the eggs from as well as turning them. So sad!!!!

Thank you for the help..and sooo sad!!! I think my humidity in my incubator got too high
sad.png
Unfortunately I didn't catch it in time, but want to learn so it won't happen next time! I did mist and directed from the person I received the eggs from as well as turning them. So sad!!!!

And that's why I use an auto-turner now. After my loss last year I just couldn't take the chance again. I'm so sorry for your loss.

And that's why I use an auto-turner now. After my loss last year I just couldn't take the chance again. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks! I definitely want to try again, but want to make sure my bator is good...also getting a new thermometer for temp and humidity. Sooo nervous to try again...after taking care of the eggs for so long, it is REALLY hard to lose them
sad.png

Thanks! I definitely want to try again, but want to make sure my bator is good...also getting a new thermometer for temp and humidity. Sooo nervous to try again...after taking care of the eggs for so long, it is REALLY hard to lose them
sad.png
I know, my eggs are in lockdown and I just know I won't sleep until they hatch! But oh, it'll be so worth it to see those little fuzzy butts running all over the yard! I really hope you do try again.

I know this is late, but I have heard from several people when they start to turn black they have gotten bacteria inside through the pores of the shell. I really tend to believe this. The first clutch of eggs by Daisi sat on she abandoned after a snake came to visit. I took them in the house and ran to get an incubator. She continued laying and I grabbed them up and added them also. The first of the eggs started getting the black on them and all died, while the others all hatched except one. The snake had swallowed one of the eggs and spit it back out before I got the hoe out there. I never knew which one it was. I now wash my hands very well before touching the eggs and again if I touch my face or anything before I continue. I don't get the "bacteria" spots anymore. I hope this was of some help.

I candled my eggs and two of them are full black on the inside sorta like they are about to hatch or at least close to hatching and when i look at them in day light you can see the grey bit too, i dont know whats happening, can you help me?

I candled my eggs and two of them are full black on the inside sorta like they are about to hatch or at least close to hatching and when i look at them in day light you can see the grey bit too, i dont know whats happening, can you help me?
If you are talking about them being black as in all full on the inside except for the air sac, then that is completely normal. The baby should just about completely fill the shell except for the air cell when it is hatching time.

I've never had duck eggs turn fully black on the shells before (yet). But I have had purple-black spots appear on the shells twice now. The closest description is that it looks like the shell got bruised. The first one that did this died without pipping, but fully formed. The second I just knew wasn't going to make it because of the experience the first time it happened. But it hatched out and was just fine, with no problems at all. I'm wondering if it might actually be something like a bruise. The one that died without hatching, when I eggtopsied it, the shell was full of blood, with the biggest concentration around that "bruised" area of shell.

Back
Top Bottom