duck feed questions

Kacey52

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Hi all
smile.png
I'm shopping for feed for my 4 week old ducklings. I was wondering where all of you got your feed and about how much I should pay. There aren't any places near me that sell it because I live in the city so I'm looking online. I found this http://www.efowl.com/Organic_Duck_Maintainer_Feed_p/4010.htm Is that a reasonable price? I don't really think they need organic, I mean I don't even eat organic food, lol but I can't seem to really find much else. I'd appreciate if you could tell me what you feed your ducks, about how much does it cost and where you get it from. Thanks bunches!!!

They can eat unmedicated chick starter. Price depends on where you live. I recently moved to AL and it is about $5 less for 50 lbs than in FL. Go to superpages.com put in your city and search for "feed store". Shipping feed is going to very cost prohibitive in the long run. You don't have to feed a duck or waterfowl feed, they can be hard to find. But if you do you need something that is age appropriate. If you buy online just make sure that you are getting something with the right protein level.

They can also eat Purina Flock Raiser (go to Purina's site and you can find a retailer in your area) or Nutrena All Flock too

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip!! I found a Chaps Feed store about 6ish miles from my house, not too bad
smile.png
Gonna try to get out there this evening.

Great to hear it. Just be sure of what you are getting when you get there. Many feed stores are not familiar with ducklings needs.

Ideally, you would get something with 16-18% protein in it without added medication. These would be called a grower/finisher (usually). If you can't get that get starter it is higher in protein. Many feed stores will tell you to just feed scratch grain or cracked corn to ducks but these are not nutritionally complete.

I just called them and he said I would need duck starter, but from I read, at 4 weeks, they should be switched to the maintainer. I do believe he said it is 18% protein so it still should be ok. Thanks for your help
smile.png

When they finished all their feathers they can be switched off from duck starter - however, as we still have some duckstarter left, and we bougth three new ducks who are very skinny -, these days I mix the starter with wheat and cracked corn. I also add a spoonful of calcium+phosphore+vitamin supplement powder because they started molting. For treats I give greens, slugs, little and big snails - latter two I throw around them in the bushes and they love to search for it, this is how I try to teach them forage, lol, like they don't know it already.

From what I read here do not make a switch from foods from one day or another, put 1/4 from the new mix first two day, then half for second two day, then 3/4 for the third two day, then you can give the new mix. Hmmm, maybe this rule is for already laying ducks so they will not stop laying because of foodswitch, I can't remember.. Ours do not lay, and I hope will not, all have to grow strong, so next spring they can lay well.

I am a newbee in several ways BUT so far I've been lucky....I got 2 day old "flying" mallards and started them on chicken starter that day. Then in a few weeks I started adding floating catfish food and they love it.....today they are nearly 4 months old (4/24) and I feed them floating fish food twice per day, I am in the process of installing an automatice fish feeder. btw, I have a two acrea pond.....

Back
Top Bottom