Duck foot injury, need advice!

Hallen

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
North Carolina
Hello! I am brand new to this site but decided to make an account to get some advice.

My Cayuga duck has a laceration on its foot. We noticed the injury the day it happened a little over a week ago. We brought the duck inside, washed the wound in saline, put antibiotic ointment in it, wrapped it in gauze and waterproof stretchy gauze. It was looking much better and healing well so we decided to put it back outside about 5 days ago. Today the foot is much worse. It does not LOOK infected, however it has opened up from where the wound was originally (only the bottom of the foot) and is now all the way through the foot on the top side. It is right along the “toe bone” and ripped through the entirety of the webbing along that one toe bone. We brought it inside just now and have done the same things as before regarding dressing and cleaning. I just don’t know what to do other than that, I have only a years experience in dealing with ducks and have never experienced an injury before.

Please help!!

Hi. How many days did you keep her inside the first time? and can you post a picture /s of it? Does it feel warm or hot? is she limping? is she eating and drinking normally ?

Hi. How many days did you keep her inside the first time? and can you post a picture /s of it? Does it feel warm or hot? is she limping? is she eating and drinking normally ?
The first time we kept her inside for around 4 days. It does not feel warm at all and it is not swollen either. The skin that used to be attached to the toe bone on top has now folded over and is dry and becoming hard. She is limping, but very slightly.. you almost don’t even notice it. She is eating and drinking like normal. I can post a picture tomorrow when I do the dressing change if that is alright with you?? Hopefully you can check this again tomorrow?

The first time we kept her inside for around 4 days. It does not feel warm at all and it is not swollen either. The skin that used to be attached to the toe bone on top has now folded over and is dry and becoming hard. She is limping, but very slightly.. you almost don’t even notice it. She is eating and drinking like normal. I can post a picture tomorrow when I do the dressing change if that is alright with you?? Hopefully you can check this again tomorrow?
yes absolutely. Its good what you are doing, the saline, antibiotic ointment , guaze and wrap are all good, you can also do a little soak in warm water with epsom salt, maybe when youre ready to take off the bandage . ducks are good at healing.

DAB63B5E-688D-44ED-84D4-EF16F9032E27.jpeg
Would you be able to get us some pictures, both from the top and the bottom, please?

Also, :welcome
Sorry for the delay, here are the pictures.

Attachments

• 46048076-698A-4F72-9952-0ADD42DAF754.jpeg
    46048076-698A-4F72-9952-0ADD42DAF754.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 6
Ouch, poor baby. Unfortunately, at this point I don't think it can be joined back together without surgery. The duck should be fine once it's fully healed.

I would keep applying some ointment on it and keeping it clean, perhaps some confined time for about a week. Don't get it wet if possible. It already looks mostly healed, but the webbing is going to remain separated from that toe, I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom